COMPOSTING CARDBOARD

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by DAG, Feb 26, 2006.

1. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I would like to thank everybody who answered my question, which I think are great answers from a great list!

A would just like to clarify a couple of points:

My local authority takes any cardboard at the recycling centre, but too bad if your an old person without a car? (I'm an old git with a car)

Large carboard boxes are quite hard to tear up and yes, probably become weak after being left out in the rain; I would rather it was in your front garden than mine! [​IMG]
    In a USA gardening forum I found out that some people use heavy cardboard boxes as a base layer to a good mulch in veg. patches, and is good for a whole year as a weed suppressant. Handy if you have a veg. patch! :(

With the small card such as cereal packets etc.,they come with a coating on, that will not easily degrade (as in my test). Also, as some have said there is the chemical side to consider.

Well then, I suppose it's time somebody invented a cardboard shreader?

This subject should be more of a science than each person trying to manage it somehow, and I am sure there will be much said in the future.
    Thank you all, and happy composting! [​IMG]

2. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I`d guess that a garden shredder should cope with cardboard.
    I don`t own one so i can`t say for sure but it seems likely.

3. Lady Gardener

Lady Gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    we tried chopped up cardboard for horses bedding once..... it was ok but not ideal ... no dust was main quality,,,,, so there must be a shredder,,,,, and if you buy a new Bosch shredder for �£200 plus elecricity to run it, just think how much benefit the envirinment is getting!