Concrete garden. Badly need ideas and quickly! Please help!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Amph, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Organoponico

Organoponico Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Not slippery or dangerous at all. If mini dunes form it's easily tidied with a leaf rake or similar. Sound-wise there is a crunch underfoot like snow. My pea gravel is about 2 inches deep.

My theory is: National Trust gardens and driveways use pea gravel by the ton so there's definitely something proper about it!

2. Brind

Brind Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Is there any real reason why you can't break up the concrete where you want a proper garden and top soil the area?

It'd work out cheaper and easier than raising and covering.

The concrete would typically be no more than 4 inches at most, I'd have thought. So a few hits with a sledge hammer and bar to lever up the bits, would be dead easy.

3. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Problem is underneath the concrete may well be loads of rubble, however Id also go down the route of breaking out areas for borders etc.

Artificial turf works out costly, and is farr from maintance free, not a product I would recomend.

4. Brind

Brind Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    There could well be a load of rubbish under the concrete.

Thankfully, a lot of people concrete just to avoid cutting grass, so there's 50 / 50 chance of just a slab of concrete.