Confused about potatoes in grow bags :s

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Veg-and-flower-man, May 30, 2008.

1. Veg-and-flower-man

Veg-and-flower-man Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I hyave main crops cattwoman. Thanks for the advice it is much appreciated

2. ellenw

ellenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to highjack this thread but how often are you suppsoed to water your potatoes (growing in bags)?
    Im not sure im doing it enough, although the plants are massive mind you and taking up much more room then I anticipated!! he he!
    Thanx

3. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What I want to know from you experienced spud growers is what quantity of spuds I might expect from a bag? I have planted old compost bags with 3 spuds in each at about 4ins from the bottom of the bag on a bed of compost and, as the stems have grown, have steadily infilled with compost, earth, grass cuttings, the occasional lump of horse manure (well rotted) etc. Lots of water and nice sunny positions so I now have several full bags of very healthy, vigorous flowering potato plants.
    What now? Will I be able to feel the growing spuds through the plastic? Accepting that there is a compromise between fewer "new" potatoes and a larger crop of mature ones about how much might I expect? A meal's worth or enough to feed the family for a fortnight? I know that many factors influence the yield you get, but can one of you experienced guys give me an idea of what to aim for?

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    As with any plant, best test is your finger! Push your finger in the dirt/compost/whatever and if it comes out clean, they need watering. If it comes out slightly damp with some compost clinging to it, they're just right but if your finger is wet and muddy, then they're too wet.

5. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi prastio

im no expert but thought i would tell you how i went on last yr............................

i planted earlies maris peer and a few others i can't remember now !!

i put 4 seeded potatoes into a polypot which was 40 litres

i have 5 of these and all though i was a bit excited and emptyed 2 polypots out before i should of i had enough to fill 3/4 of an asda carrier bag if thats any help

and im itching again to get digging to see how they have grown as the follage is just under 4 ft and they are in flower this yr i have done 24 polypots LOL

6. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info,CW25. 24 polypots! That's on an industrial scale! Makes my 3 bags pale into insignificance. (But I'm sure that I will enjoy the produce as much as you do).