confused

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Gizmo, Mar 16, 2023.

1. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,566
    Can you hear everything in the neighbours flat? In other words how do you know the beep is coming from their flat.
    What makes you think this? Have they got your mobile numbers or had access to your phones.
    Have you still got a landline?

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,857
    If you can hear them then they can hear you. They might just be picking up on your conversation

• Agree Agree x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,968
      As you have Alexa you do realise that it listens to you and irecords, it is probably more of a risk than a neighbour hacking your cctv.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
        Ratings:
        +54,381
        We have security and it does bleep when there is movement. I have altered the settings to record human movements only and all is good. It will also make a clicking sound whenever we are actively looking at a live stream on our cameras too.

We do have Alexa but only switch it on for certain things, it's never left on when not required.
        I also use Signal and WhatsApp these are my preferred way of communication.

All I can advise is check out your settings, a bit of tweaking might be all that is needed.

I doubt whether your neighbours would be doing anything...sounds very extreme too me. Perhaps it's a case of your imagination running wild ;). Why would they want to listen in on an elderly couple nextdoor???

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +122,442
          Even my wife doesn't listen to me! :whistle: :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
          • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
            +851
            We have had police involved and asc

• Like Like x 1
            • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +54,381
              I still think you'll be fine though @Gizmo .

Can you turn off the audible setting on your set up...to give you additional peace of mind from eavesdropping?

Imo visual is way more important that audible recording.
              When at home I switched off sound from all our outside cameras....to save on the solar batteries ( not sure if it's really necessary but...) However when we're away the sound goes back on....we can speak to visitors wanted or unwanted via our cameras.

• Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
              +851
              The problem is that they are neighbours from hell ....police asc and 2 local council are involved ..
              They are spying on us with other neighbours..we have heard them say to other people about they want us out make it look like a robbery since we heard threats we put up cctv and as police knows I go to bed with a carving knife ..
              Over last weekend I heard that I was to be shot again police was involved ..

• Informative Informative x 2
              • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                +23,857
                Replace the carving knife with a rolling pin. They're more use and it looks better in court

• Agree Agree x 5
                • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +54,381
                  We have a truncheon that we found in our attic when we moved here. :biggrin:

We are also fortunate as in having a panic button in our bedroom and we each have a panic button fob too....these only work when we are here at home...this gives us direct access to the emergency services.
                  Perhaps you could think about getting similar.
                  Although we don't have any issues as we have got older and live in a very rural area all this security has given us and our brood immense peace of mind .:blue thumb:

• Informative Informative x 1
                  • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,769
                    Nobody should be living in fear.

Have you specifically told the police that you're neighbours behaviour makes you feel threatened?

Why do you believe your neighbours want you out? What are they doing that they'd rather you didn't know about? (Don't answer that if you don't feel comfortable doing so)

I agree with Loofah about not taking a knife to bed. I agree on the point about what it looks like in court, but there's another important point. That is that in a crunch, if a person brings a weapon but they're not trained in its use, they are in effect bringing a weapon for the assailant. I once read some statistical analysis that suggested that most people reporting to A and E with knife wounds following assault with a bladed article has actually been cut by their own knife. Ie it is a fallacy that knives in the hands of an untrained person are a good self defence weapon. The statistics I read were years old, so may have been superseded and contradicted by now, but the point still stands, taking a knife to bed is not the best idea.

• Agree Agree x 3
                    • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
                      Ratings:
                      +1,154
                      Would also agree to place the knife away. Rolling pin is too short to be effective!. Weapon of choice for self defence in domestic circumstances would be a sledge hammer handle, never use it for percussion, a good hard thrust into the lower rib area is advice given by a serving constable of my aquaintance. Seems sound.......

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +2,769
                        There's a guy on YouTube that I watch. Icy Mike, his channel is called Hard2Hurt. He's an ex copper, but he's also a mixed martial arts coach with a focus on domestic self defence.

His conclusion is that the flashlight is the best general purpose self defence tool. His logic being, it is a short batten, a hammer, but most importantly, shine it in somebody's eyes and they are temporarily blind, buying a vital second or two to do something else.

The primary goal of self defence is to move towards safety. That usually means creating an opportunity to escape, but could also mean summoning help, drawing attention to what's going on, or otherwise discouraging the assailant.

We can all speculate what we would do in a given situation or what someone else should do, but the truth is in an emergency, adrenaline takes over, and that could result in violent action, legging it, or freezing in terror, and nobody knows which it is unless it happens. So this should not be the plan, because it's an unreliable plan. If there is a genuine belief that you're in danger, you simply have to get out of there, at least until that danger has been dealt with. Planning for a situation where you have to go straight from asleep to in active combat is really not logical.

• infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
                        Ratings:
                        +1,154
                        Yes, but, remember to do it in reverse sequence; the' hammer' wiil break the bulb!

• Informative Informative x 1
                        • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                          +851
                          after again talking to the police again today and life line about our concerns the police said that they have looked into everthing no further action , but we fell that our neighbours are not going to the police where is unsure , is there anything someone can advise on how i get proof of what they are doing ,, as we said to the police we are scared