Confusing climber growth

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rosa, May 18, 2009.

1. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    That looks like Clematis Montana to me Rosa and I think you have some honeysuckle too.

Honeysuckle roots easily from any little cutting so maybe a bit had got into your pot before you bought it.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "It can be a little confusing calling a clematis a rose but hey"

My little'un says she has no idea what sort of potatoes we are going to get - given that they are called "Pink Fir Apple" :)

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Can't really blame her, bless 'er 'eart.

That looks like a montana to me too

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    thought it was a montana clematis cos i planted it at front of balcony as for the honeysuckle i didnt bargain on getting one of them its climbing right up my balcony, so wonder why this montana isnt flowering yet it seems to be growing ok

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    You and I are both quite far up north, it might just be that these particular types we have flower a bit later than those in the balmy south.

6. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    lets hope so lollipop iff mine does start to flower will let you know and let me know iff yours flowers

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
  8. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Thats better Rosa,you have now got closer pictures of the leaves.Defiently go along with what everyone else says that you have both Clematis and Honeysuckle plants:):gnthb:

Rosa does your Clematis and Honeysuckle get much sun? because that could be another factor as to why they are not in flower yet although having said that our Honeysuckle by the back door has no flowers yet.I think we have to wait a bit longer until it is the right time of the year to bloom:D

9. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    kandy im amazed at having this honeysuckle i guess a seed must of been in the clematis pot when i bought that as its odd how they are both growing in the same place, were they are positioned they are growing right at the front of my balcony so they get the sun but i dont get the sun around there till afternoon all other climbers are all over the front and doing very well, could that montana be establishing itself as i know honeysuckles you dont see flowers till the 2nd or 3rd year at least, same with other climbers, mind most of my clematis they have flowered the first year