Confusing, this recycling malarky

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Harmony Arb, Oct 13, 2008.

1. TortMad

TortMad Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have
    1 none recyclable waste bin
    1 Garden waste bin
    2 boxes for recyclable can, glass, tin etc
    1 heysian sack for paper card etc

The council also provides one free plastic compost bin per household, but you have to request this. I was lucky enough to get 3:lollol: as they have short memories:D

Recyclable waste is collected one week, none recyclable waste collected the following week, every calender year a schedule is posted for us to work off, or if I still get it wrong my neighbour pops by to tell me I have put the wrong bins out:flag:

2. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I think that the councils should prove that all the effort we put in to recycling isn't a waste, I can't be sure that they're not putting it all into landfill and just making it look like their meeting their targets for recycling.

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Did anyone see that programme a few eeks back now-I think a Trevor Macdonald thing or something, they traced paper waste that had been put in a recycling bag in Essex to a Landfill site in India along with Tesco carrier bags and plastic milk bottles.

4. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I didn't no, but think that's disgusting

5. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    sweetpea101 - just a quick comment on your signature. It was the tree, about 360 million years ago! :D

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I m trying to find a link to it if I can get it does ITV have one of those watch again things does anyone know?

7. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    TS, finally someone answered :) I will sleep well tonight knowing, but are you talking evolution or god ?:roll:

8. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
  9. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Now that is shocking, lollipop73. What's with all this outsourcing to other countries? Are we so unable to look after ourselves and keep on top of our own responsibilities? I doubt anything will get done... the Indian firms will just bury the unrecyclable waste deeper with the UK council's going wink wink nudge nudge.

10. sweetpeas

sweetpeas Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    I've just received a green heavy duty bag(with instructions printed in it) from the council for my glass, it's about time.

11. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,463
    Our council have decided to change how they recycle and have sent a four page survey (more trees cut down :() asking what we prefer.

Does anyone think that they will take any notice of what we say? :scratch:

At the moment they do a good job. Small blue box for glass, bio-degradable bags for garden waste (which they turn into soil improver and sell), clear plastic bags for all other recyclables and a black bin for non-recyclables. We can have as many bags as we need. Seems pretty good - so they want to change it :mad:

Apart from us having two compost heaps that are each about 6ft x 6ft (and usually end up about 5ft high) we burn the woody stuff (big bonfire once a month) and fill about 30 bags (nasty weeds and things that take too long to compost) for recycling each fortnight. They now say that they want to charge for the bags or provide us with a big bin. I asked them if we could have three bins and no one could tell me :(.

I want to recycle but am not prepared to pay for it as they already take half my pension each year in council tax s00k and we don't get much service for that. If we want to walk to our village (no bus service) we have to walk a mile on a very busy road with no footpath and no lighting.

End of rant :D and I feel much better :thumb:

12. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ohhhh you do rant and rave Shiney and its not like you but we are all going through the same problems. If I cannot compost it I burn it on the allotment and use the ash on my plot. I have 5 compost bins 4 on the lottie and one at home.

As for our bus service sometimes 2 come at once, one council and one private hourly or so they say.

Never mind Shiney one day some wise guy will invent how to recycle stuff at no extra cost. May be we can put our heads together and come up with a bright idea. Until that day dawns we have to put up with it mate.

End of rant.:D

13. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,463
    Hi Fancy, I enjoy practicing to be a grumpy old man :D. I've been working at it for years and hope to qualify soon :).

14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24

I don`t think it`s one of the jobs you are best qualified for Shiney:D:D

15. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,463
    Probably not, Fancy, but I really enjoy trying :D :lollol: