Confusing, this recycling malarky

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Harmony Arb, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Larkshall

Larkshall Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    Our district council collects garden waste for recycling into compost, strange! but we never see anything about where we can get the compost. I've searched their website but no mention. It's like woodchips, the contractors leave the chips on site, you never get the chance to buy at a reasonable price. I suspect that they are all in the trough together, not helping us in any way. We're just the milch cow that pays for the b***** system.

When I first moved here (1939) we had a monthly "non-burnable rubbish" collection. Now we have fortnightly collections for everything. Sometimes I don't bother to put the bins out as there's not much in them.

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. " (Shiney). like I told my son many times "Keep your ears open and your trap shut, and people won't know how stupid you are". He's bought a laptop now, but I'm not teaching him to use it. I told him to sign-up at the library for a course, although I have been running a computer group for over twenty years.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,463
    Good idea, Larkshall :thumb:

You don't want to get involved in teaching family.:flag::hehe:

At our nearest County Council dump they sell bags of 'soil improver' made from the garden waste they get.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "we never see anything about where we can get the compost"

I saw a TV program about a new allotment holder starting his plot, and there was a huge delivery of council composted waste to the allotment holders

But I've always wondered how they make 100% sure there is no broken glass in there, etc., and have thought that might be a reason its not easily found - maybe it goes into agriculture where it is handled by machines and the threat of glass etc. would be diminished?

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    The waste is usually used in large scale land reclamation, being of low value and varied quality.

Some of the composting facility's make money from harvesting the methane produced.

5. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,865
    Woking council have two bins, one for general waste, one for recycling of paper, glass and plactics etc. For garden waste we have to buy bags which are collected fortnightly; the garden waste goes to a compost facility in chichester and the output spread across their local farmland, we see nothing of it! The council says the cost of bringing it back to woking after being made is prohibitive...

Its a system that seems to work well for me but it would be nice to be able to get at the compost

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "it would be nice to be able to get at the compost"

Do you have the space to make your own? (maybe you do but this is for things that you can't easily compost yourself?)

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Councils make money from selling it. It`s the profit margin that is diminished-it won`t actually cut into the cash in the pot you pay into. Our local tip sells the compost back to us-it isn`t freely given, despite it being ours in the first place.

8. Loofah

Ratings:
    +23,865
    Oh I do this already:) I just give all the rubbish thats need the higher constant temps to kill off properly to the council:)
    I had some great compost this year from my bin

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I suspected as much .... I'll go back to sleep now!

10. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have something for you to rant Shiney:scratch: two weeks ago the council decided to clear more bramble on our allotment site to make way for 6 more plots and a car park. Work started and a huge pile of bramble,old carpets stones,rocks and trees were stacked up in a heap. Now we were wondering why the digger man was digging a 1 meter hole near the pile of rubbish and this is what he said. The council will not be able to recycle this rubbish as they are short of cash so he was asked to bury it and put good top soil over it. we were all gobsmacked. Now we could not stop him from doing this but there were moans and groans from all quarters. A coal minor said he will be back to dig out the coal in a few hundred years time:D

What do you all make of this, please dont tell me you approve.:cnfs:

11. Loofah

Ratings:
    +23,865
    I'd make damned sure the papers knew about that one!! The council will presumably still charge some poor soul for the priveledge of tending the carpets below some poorly growing spuds too?