Construction of our veg plot.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by EddieJ, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    That looks just super Eddie. You'll have an amazing kitchen garden there when it's all finished.
    As for the pesky deer - shame about them as the damage they do is awful. I had them in my last garden and fencing them out really is the only way to deal with it.

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I still want one of those yellow shovels.....

Steve...:D

3. EddieJ

EddieJ gardener & Sculptor

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    Nah, it would only distract you from the task in hand!:wink:

I have discovered something today.... That the more that you do, the more ideas that you have!!:skp:

I've managed to do a bit more work on the veg plot, and actually I am ahead of what I wanted to achieve as I only intended to do the rear three beds this year.
    I've also managed to tidy the edges up and put some grass seed down, and also made up the first of two benches constructed from oak that was being thrown a way.
    This is where the next project sprang to mind. I have now decided to make a trellis arbour to go around it, which solves a problem of trying to find somewhere to put a climbing of climbing plants that we brought with us from the last house.
    I have also decided to use IBC tanks for the irrigation, which means that I now need to get that all up and running as well. I'm fortunate to have plenty of room, so I'm going to use five tanks, which will give me a water capacity of 5000litres!:)
    These tanks, will then lead to another project!! Making a trellis system to hide them. A you can see, one job leads to another.:oops:

[​IMG]

4. Naylors Ark

Naylors Ark Struggling to tame her French acres.

Ratings:
    +1,019
    You're going on a great pace. Nice to see someone happy in their work.
    Even your digger has a smile on it. :hehe:

[​IMG]

5. EddieJ

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    I've been busy this weekend, and the veg plot and irrigation is finally taking shape.[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

I still have a few more beds to make, and the pathways to sort out, but at least the end is now in sight.
    Beds for soft fruit are next on the list, and I just need to work out (or be told)[​IMG] what the optimum sizes are for these.

6. GeorgeBean

GeorgeBean Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Marvelous project, Really nice watching it all come together. Thanks for posting for us.

7. EddieJ

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    I'm struggling with a few health issues at the moment, so progress has been slow, but the plot isn't that far from being finished now.
    A few more beds, remove some soil, lay the pathways, make an arbour around the rear seat, and make a simple work bench, and the jobs done!!:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the fold up runner bean frames.:)

I've also added some plastic mesh to the water tanks, to help the climbing plants cover them.

[​IMG]

Edit..

Photos taken 03/07/2010

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,984
    Well done Eddie, everything looks so neat and tidy.

9. EddieJ

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    How odd, I thought that I updated this yesterday.:cnfs:

Anyway, I've now managed to get the last few beds finished, and apart from getting some more stone in for the pathways and some detail touches, its all but finished.:gnthb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
    +884
    WOW!! Eddie that looks fantastic!! It's also a real inspiration for me for next year, when I hope to upgrade to a real greenhouse, and build a veg plot too. I love the layout!!

Do you find that a veg plot works best if it's got dappled shade by it, but still getting lots of light?

Hope your health issues are all sorted out now too.xx

11. EddieJ

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    Well its a step even closer now! :gnthb:

[​IMG]

The coarse stone is where I haven't finished the path surface work. I've just taken delivery of 14 cubic metres of stone, which was the wrong size!! I'm now having to dig up the existing stone pathway, put the new stone underneath, then blind the old stone over the top. Its no fun!!! Even worse was working out that I have pushed the wheelbarrows of stone just over a distance of 20miles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anther project!!

This is the front end of a luton lorry body. I'm going to raise it on a couple of courses of bricks, fit doors to one half, and have it as a tool/garden store. The bodies are a handy hint for anyone looking for cheap/free storage. Just go to your local vehicle breakers, and if they have any, they are glad to get shot of them!

[​IMG]

12. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,984
    It is coming on well. Your runner beans are looking superb.