1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cor Blimey Quiz !!

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by HarryS, May 12, 2017.

1. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,921
    I got 8, i don't know how, i've driven through and delivered there and married an Essex Gail
    Is the new Essex language a derivative of the Cockney languuage
    Do i need to be carefull asking this sort of Question ;)

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,465
    It's almost a derivative of Cockney without a lot of the rhyming slang. Although some has been so ingrained in the culture that it's used a lot in Essex. You don't really need to be careful about it.

What is more common to both Cockney and 'Essex' is the accent which is a mix of both and, nowadays, sometimes called Estuary English.

A lot of original Cockneys moved out of the East End and into Essex with the expansion of the economy after WWII and the influx of immigrants (much needed at the time) that moved into the East End.

The East End has been the place for immigrants to come to for centuries. The Huguenots came in the late 17th C (religious persecution), the Irish in the mid 19thC (the Famine), a Jewish influx in the early 19thC (collapse of Poland) and again in the late 19thC (legalised discrimination in Russia followed by atrocities) and in the early 20thC (Russian Revolution) and again during mid 20thC ( The Holocaust), also there was immigration from the colonies (mainly black) in the mid 20thC followed some years later by the Indian immigration when the effects of Partition in India started to take hold.

The East End was the obvious place because it was where all the ships docked and there was plenty of work needed around there - especially casual labour. Although a lot of the accommodation was squalid it was better than nothing - and cheap!

The Cockney accent derived from a mixture of all these languages and accents.

It wasn't quite that simple but I've tried to give a good précis of what happened.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
      Last edited: May 15, 2017
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,921
      Thank you Shiney :dbgrtmb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        Proud to say I got.....zero! :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,414
          I got 7/12. Some were educated guesses. I know which answers were right and wrong, shame I don't remember what the question were.

G.

• Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
          +5,414
          If I knew how to upload videos I would upload "Why can't the English" from My Fair Lady. It's a classic and the pre amble to the song talks about localised accents.

G.

• shiney

Ratings:
          +118,465
          @Jack Sparrow 'ere y'ar!!! :heehee:

The film was very good but the stage show was even better. :blue thumb: It didn't have the range that a film can have but it had a fantastic atmosphere.

I was at the original dress rehearsal in 1958 and saw the show again whenever there was a change of any of the main performers. I was fortunate to have a free pass to any performance as long as there were any empty seats. This was because we loaned the theatre an oil painting of George Bernard Shaw to be displayed in the foyer for the run of the show. It was there for years!

P1110568.JPG

• Like Like x 2
          • Jack Sparrow

Ratings:
            +5,414
            Thanks for that @shiney . I love the whole thing. I saw the show at Drury Lane in 2000ish. It was supposed to have been Martine McCutcheon but she had already quit by then. Jonathan Price played Higgins and Dennis Waterman played the dustman. It was great. Even though you knew the whole show word for word, you were still engaged by it.

:dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb:

G.

Ps. GAAAAN is an expression I use all the time :snorky:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +118,465
              @Jack Sparrow I think that all the different performers have done a good job of it although I haven't seen any of the modern versions. I can't remember how many times I saw it during its five and a half year original run but it was just as good even when I knew all the words.

They produced it much more true to the original play 'Pygmalion' by GBS than a lot of other plays have been. Shaw's spelling of the word was 'garn' (Act I - and in Act II) but your spelling seems better because it shows the drawn out pronunciation.

The earliest example of Higgins writing down her speech is:-
              "Cheer ap, Keptin; n' baw ya flahr orf a pore gel." So fairly easy to understand. :) :old:

• Like Like x 1