1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Corylus Contorta (Hazel) - leaf curl

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Barnowl, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Barnowl

Barnowl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Why are the leaves on my Corylus Contorta curling up?

The tree was planted recently, about 8 weeks ago, the soil is predominantly clay but there is some better quality top soil in the vicinity of the plant and the hole was filled with a mixture of soil and well rotted manure. The plant has been watered fairly regularly and yesterday I removed a sucker and gave it another good watering but there is, so far, no sign of the leaves straightening up.

I would be grateful for any advice.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Evening Barnowl, and welcome to the site. The plant has only been in 8 weeks, give it a chance to establish itself a bit. Have patience, it will be fine.:thumb::D

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I planted one last year. Its doing the leaf-curl trick too. But otherwise it looks healthy enough. Dunno if that is normal though.

4. Bartek

Bartek Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    There is nothing wrong with your corylus. It's normal in case of this plant. I dug up the hole about 6 feet wide and 3 deep filled with very good quality garden soil and have curled leaves too. It doesn't depend on quality of soil and level of moisture. I personally very like this. I think twisted leaves make great addition to twisted stems and it fits very well together :).

5. Bartek

Bartek Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen recently a very interesting cultivar of corylus - Red Majestic. It has
    the same look as contorta(twisted stems and leaves) except for its leaves colour
    that is dark red nearly black on new growth

6. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Barnowl,

Do you have any pics? The leaves of most contorted plants are kind of curly or ruffled so I'm sure you're little hazel is fine.

7. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think you will find that the curly leaves are normal for the contorted hazel.It doesnt look particularly good but it can be a talking point!
    Mine is exactly the same.

8. Barnowl

Barnowl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for all the replies - you have set my mind at rest!

Regards

9. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,514
    They do have contorted leaves as well as the branches. Some people think the leaves are ugly but we quite like them although the tree looks at its best in the early spring when the branches still haven't got their leaves but have the lovely catkins hanging from them.

We have had our tree for 30 years. Once it has got well established it will grow quite fast so you will need to keep it pruned and shaped. Make sure you check the bottom of the trunk each year for suckers. They grow straight up from the root stock. It is better to pull the suckers off instead of cutting them (like rose suckers).