1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Costa Rica - Heliconias

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by PeterS, Apr 13, 2018.

1. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    It's about twenty years since we went there. Flights only, buses from the west coast to east coast and never felt threatened at all (unlike London, Miami, parts of Chicago, Johannesburg big style). Great place to visit but sadly I had no interest in gardening then.

H.velerigera and H.mariae look fantastic Peter!

Nice! H.rostrata can only grow to about five metres :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      Excellent John - I look forward to hearing how they do. I believe that, for us - without the right climate, it's quite difficult to get rhizomes back into growth. I certainly killed an H. bihai rhizome that I got from Thailand.

Himalayan Gardens was not expensive, but other sources on the internet can be very expensive. Not just for the rhizome, they can also charge up to £20 postage.

I don't think Costa Rica is any worse than any other third world country. All the people we met were very friendly, but in towns and around "rich" tourists, there will always be temptation for some people.

Strongy. I never saw any Heliconias in Madeira either. I think it isn't hot enough - a minimum of 16C in winter is pretty demanding.

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Apr 16, 2018