council compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by misterroy, Sep 22, 2008.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    I dont know any mate.
    Do you?:D

2. UJH

UJH Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What a good thread. I'm glad I have never bought council compost. How true that I put all the bind weed and other weeds into it rather than on my compost heap.

3. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Pete. Well I know the lady is one now. Desperately hoping for a "smack" from her.:D:D

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,088
    I suspect you will get one soon enough:D

5. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  6. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think soo too:D:D:lollol:

7. FANCY

FANCY Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What ya like and so much for council compost:(:scratch:

8. Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I'm pretty sure that the heat kills most things off including weeds and diseases and if someone had really put weed killer and other damaging chemicals in it they would be so diluted with all the other stuff in the compost it probably wouldn't be that bad , and it would also have to pass regular spot checks...

9. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Kalmia. the teachers you want are on this site.:thumb:

10. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Kal. I use something called Pro-gro, (sorry P.G., same initials:D) this is made from composted green materials that are chucked in our local tip. Not council owned. Never had any trouble from it. I'm pretty sure that no-one checks it but the high dilution rate probably makes it safe. I get more trouble from Well-rotted manure. Never knew that cows and horses ate soo much "deadly nightshade":D

11. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    To be honest I would not trust the council to do a proper job of composting, I guess most of it would be OK but it would be sods law that the odd bag will slip through only partially treated, but I'm willing to be proved wrong :)

The weedkiller that destroyed my veg patch this year (Aminopyralid) only needs to be in compost in tiny trace residues to devastate sensitive crops (tomatoes, peas, beans, etc). The Pesticides Safety Directorate have just released their first findings into this Aminopyralid scandal http://www.pesticides.gov.uk/garden.asp?id=2529 - basically they are saying the batches of compost they tested contained levels of the weedkiller in such low residues that could not be measured. Next year I'm not using any bought in compost, unless its 100% peat (which is not very 'green') or proper 'Organic' with Soil Association certification i.e. Expensive, then at least I won't be wasting a whole growing season again.

12. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Not only would I not use council compost but of late have started to look at some of the cut priced composts sold in supermarket/diy stores it is difficult to try and trace were they get their compost materials from (I suspect some of it is from local councils) the quality of the composts sold is definitely going down the pan, the qality and degree of success with some composts is quite wide ranging, I only wish I could produce enough of my own compost to satisfy my needs but using 50+ bags a season precludes this.

13. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    I'm not sure whats in those really cheap growbags from the supermarkets, its a very black material that stains my hands when I use it. I think it might be composted bark, but am only guessing. It would be a good idea if the bags had an 'ingredients' type label, like on food items these days. Then at least we would have a slight chance of knowing what rubbish it may contain.

It is difficult to produce enough home made compost walnut, I've been trying extra hard this year and have produced about 1.5 cubic meters (about twice what I normally get), buts thats still only about half of what I use. I've been bulking up all my grass clippings/green material with lots of cardboard and also been cutting neighbours lawns when I can. I'm going to collect as many leaves as I can this Autumn to make leaf mould, but that won't be ready for a couple of years. I reckon its going to be peat for me next spring.

14. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,866
    I read this and thought to myself 'Hmm, I don't recall my council even offering!'... so a wrote an email. Within 20 minutes I have my reply - my council are 'unable to offer the end product' as it goes to someone else! Apparently the facility that does end up making the compost is 'excellent' 'produced to the PAS100 standard' and utilises the 'wind-row system' whatever the heck that is. I'm SO happy for them and that all the stuff I pay for being taken away someone else benefits from!
    Well, I say they benefit, it might be worthless, infected and laced with chemical given the above posts but you get my drift.

15. Synthhead

Synthhead Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I rang the local council about putting the sad remains of my blighted 2007 tomatoes in the green waste bin last year. I was given the number of a farm, where they actually do the composting. I spoke to a lady there, being concerned that I might "muck up the muck" ( :) ) if I put blighted waste in there. She seemed to know what she was talking about, and when I described the tom problem, she was quick to say that it would be OK, as the temperature would kill any pathogens in the mix. I was reassured *then*, but that was *before* the aminopyralid fiasco became known about.

I guess it entirely depends on the care, skill and effort of those in charge of making and regulating what comes out of council composting schemes. Nevertheless, I won't take the risk from now on, (the harvest was bad enough this year anyway) and will be trying to find ways to make my own compost, Neighbours' lawn cuttings, leaves, and nettles I guess........

cheers,
    Dave