council compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by misterroy, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Pro-gro is the stuff I use. I've always understood that it was made by a contractor from the waste in the council's green bins but I may be wrong on that. It's certified by the Soil Association, for what that's worth.

JWK has obviously had a bad but very specific problem this year with Aminopyralid but you can never know what's in compost or soil conditioner unless you cook it up yourself.

2. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Flinty, not sure where Mist lives. Maybe you can only get Pro-gro in Hants? You get flint in Hants? Must be a chalky soil. Come down to the coast. It's clay and you can improve that LoL

3. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    In general council greenwaste is composted down and used for industrial land reclamation.

Having seen first hand the cra* that goes it in this is by farr the best place for it.

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I'm not so sure that all these companies use heat to sterilize their composts one batch I obtained did smell of chemicals, when I had used it my hans flared up and were itching, must have been a reaction to the chemicals.

5. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,866
    A got a further reply from the council! After the compost is made its spread about on the local farm land so hopefully the farmers don't suffer from anything nasty in it!
    The reason we can't get any from the council is because they don't want to re-bag it and transport it back, thereby keeping their 'environmental credentials' as good as possible. Can't argue with that really.
    I also had a peek at the PAS100 standard (its a part of what I do so like to keep abreast of standards I come across...); in theory excellent but I'd just love to go watch it all happen and ask a few questions!

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    I hadn't realised there were standards for compost making, looks like a step in the right direction.

7. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Loofah, there`s only one question you need to ask them, and that is, " Can you guarantee it`s disease free " ? And the answer you`ll get is, " no ".

8. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Loofah
    You was asking about the 'wind-row system'
    OK here goes, as used in the water treatment industry Windrow is simple a way of removing as much moisture as possible by piling the media in rows, like earthing up your potato, These rows may be 3 to 4 metres high. This must be done on a free draining area usually with a concrete base. This allows maximum contact with any air movment and speeds drying.