1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Crittall Greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Madahhlia, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    I know people here have got Crittall greenhouses, any feedback on quality? This is actually a goodlife one which I believe may be Crittall and is probably 20 odd years old. Is it better to go for an old, good quality one or buy a new, shiny but bit cr*p one?

2. WillieBee

WillieBee Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    I have a Crittall greenhouse, which my parents bought in the 1970's. At the time,dad picked it because the sides were not vertical, but slightly sloped, which 'the blurb' said would let in more light.

It is still doing well now. I have grown tomatoes in it for a long time.

I have just got an allotment and was given a free greenhouse. Quality wise, there doesn't seem much difference.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      I think, as long as it looks sound, should be a good buy, as long as the price is right:blue thumb: I suspect that some of the bolts will be past their best, but replacements are easy to source.

• Useful Useful x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,193
        I've got a couple of Crittall greenhouses, both made in the 1970s and built to last. I've had one since 1976, my wife worked for Crittalls and I bought an ex-display model. It's been moved from house to house and around our current garden a few times. I also got a Good Life model more recently, it's not as well made as my older model and the plastic weather strips where the sides meet the roof are always falling off. My older model has never had any problems apart from a door fitting wore out, it was easy to fashion another piece out of some scrap plastic.

Just make sure everything is there as spares are difficult to find. You can get replacement glazing clips and nuts/bolts still, but not vents or doors.

• Useful Useful x 1
        • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,089
          Thanks for your replies - I like the look of the sloping ones but I think they would seem less roomy for the same footprint as a conventional one. I like the idea of getting a vintage one but am a bit worried about extra dismantling and reassembling problems as I knew spares were not going to be standard. The Crittalls one was a Good Life so maybe it's a good thing I didn't buy it!

I'm still vacillating about the exact site & size so a bit of delay gives more thinking time but spring is moving on fast now, I'd like to make some progress.

Trouble with Ebay, most people don't describe a greenhouse at all well, and from the pictures, most are almost identical! 70% look like Hall's ones, but surely they can't all be?

@JWK, congratulations on your special event recently, the pictures of you all look fab.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,193
          Yes that is a pain, I've been looking for extra vents for my old greenhouses, and the trouble is even if I find Crittall ones they may not fit. My two greenhouses look identical at first glance but the aluminium sections are slightly different.

Thank you! :)