Crocosmia invasiveness

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Adam I, May 13, 2024.

1. Adam I

Adam I Gardener

Hijinks
    Ratings:
    +184
    Its the hardy fuschia that has spread there, it makes 2-3 meter diameter bushes. Has those small red flowers. I suspect birds like the berries as theyre refreshing.

Hopefully global warming will contain it to some extent but near the coast it may get wetter which could have reverse effect as in ireland.
    What worried me was the large gene pool i saw in ireland which suggests some level of adaptability. it was also clearly spreading by seed and not just corm, so itll adapt over time, good on you to deadhead!

I think ill get some red yarrow cultivars to replace it, i believe that is native and drought hardy. any one grown it as a flower? Chiltern seeds has some nice looking ones.
    I read gladioli and watsonia where also thugs so ill avoid though i also read theyre not so cold hardy? :rolleyespink: aaah! so complicated!!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2024
  2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,565
    Crocosmias self seed happily with me if I don't deadhead them and they are very variable in flower colour, size, vigour and foliage.

• Informative Informative x 2