Cucumbers... From windowsill to...?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Markymark, May 4, 2014.

1. Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +125
    Things are looking good! My cucumber plant now lives in the lounge! Put new canes in today as it's starting to climb. Took a pic tonight of it. Is this a developing cucumber?

Attached Files:

2. fileyboy

fileyboy Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +421
    I pot my cucumbers into 5 l pots then stand them in washing up bowls so that they get watered from the bottom.Feed into the pot top with chicken pellet manure and water in once a week.The bowls are top up with water every day leaving about 2 ins of water and touch wood have never had a problem.

3. Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +125
    Still going strong! I put chicken manure pellets on today and keep tying in the new growth... Getting on my nerves a bit though in the lounge ha ha

Attached Files:

4. nFrost

nFrost Head Gardener

Leachate Treatment Plant Manager
    Ratings:
    +2,908
    Maybe it was the heat in the blowaway greenhouse? I got mine up to 42C last year! (personal best). :)

5. Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +125
    Any idea how high these things grow? There is one cucumber growing but it is tiny

6. Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +125
    Well it's the 27th July and I had to move my cucumber plant outside... I had put chicken manure pellets on the soil and discovered that flies must have been enjoying them; maggots were appearing from beneath the soil! I wasn't particularly hopeful but it seems to love it outside and I have several cucumbers growing. These are burpless types...does anyone know how to tell when they are ready? This is my biggest one ( see photo) . The plant is looking a little tired as cabbage whites have laid eggs and the caterpillars are munching away. It's between 8 and 10 inches

Attached Files:

7. lykewakewalker

lykewakewalker Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +710
    I don't grow burpless but do grow indoor and outdoor varieties. I have been pulling both for well over a month now.
    Inspect the cucumber's skin. A ripe cucumber usually has skin that is medium to dark green in colour. Yellow skin on a cucumber indicates that it is past its prime.
    Feel the cucumber. Ripe cucumbers are firm. Cucumbers that are over-ripe are typically puffy, have wrinkled tips and sunken areas.

8. Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +125
    We'll I decided to go for it :-) I cut it and tasted it.... Was soooo nice lol. Here it is, featuring in a burger :-)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1