Cumbrian Garden Project

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Steve R, May 8, 2008.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    You may of noticed in the greenhouse section of this site, that I have gone and bought one brand new, this is after trying for the last 6 months to recycle one via such places as freecycle or to buy one second hand (and so recycle) via ebay (always outbid at the last minute!). All I have to do now is erect it and start using it, if only things where that simple! There is a shed in the way of where I want to put it, and when thats removed there are two old shrub roots to dig up and remove.

Here is the "other" half of the garden you have not seen much of upto now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shed is to be repaired, painted, emptied, moved, refilled and its final location is right up next to the car/fence, facing the same way. The fence also needs removing and a new one building complete with gate for access. Up by that fence there is a mound of soil left over from when I dug out the patio area, that needs flattening before the shed move.

You can see my incredibly fantastic composting system here, two big wooden crates, one is full and composting, one is empty (now) but was full of well rotted manure and the bins are full of "done" compost thats now maturing, all this will be replaced and rebuilt into a more efficient use of space and will stretch along the wall between the shed and greenhouse, containing three, maybe four bays to it. One for storage, one for "doing" one for maure and a spare..maybe for leaves/extra storage.

And the grrenhouse will eventually be going where the shed is now, so that the door of the g/house actuallu faces the house, set slightly back from the current shed frontage so that I can get a full length coldframe next toand along the side of the g/house, but not interfering with that ghastly grid cover.

In the earlier posting a made showing the pots, you may have noticed some piles of tiles, these will be cemented down the centre of the greenhouse (2ft wide x 8ft long) to make an easily kept clean walkway, the whole thing will be sited on paving slabs.

Steve...:)

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Phew, you got me worn out steve ;) You have done a Fantastic job of your garden, it looks gorgeous, I love it all, Your Work area is gonna be great, And youll'e wonder how you ever managed without your greenhouse once you start using it :thumb: Keep them pics coming, I love projects like this...Dee...

3. Nursewhen

Nursewhen Gardener

Configuration management analyst
    Ratings:
    +45
    Wow! what a transformation!

(can you come and do mine?)

4. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Your garden is fab Steve and I really love the paving and the wall. Can't wait for the next bit

5. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    My greenhouse is already overflowing with goodies...in my mind :D

Thanks all for the nice words...what a lovely bunch you all are.:thumb:

6. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I can report that there has been absolutely no progress whatsoever due to rain, rain and more rain. Progress in the next few days is likely to be hampered by rain with a little rain on the side, with the possibility of further rain once the rain stops.

Saying that though...the kayaking in the back garden is great fun.!

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,429
    Don't worry, I have put in a request for the rain to stop in a couple of weeks time :thumb: :D as I don't like walking the fells in the rain :(

See ya soon :thumb:

8. Little Miss Road Rage

Ratings:
    +1
    There's gonna be no rain now as I've just re seeded the bare and dead patches in my lawn. It always happens so I'll be out there hand watering

9. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +11,493
    :cl-p::rocksn::cl-p::rocksn::cl-p::rocksn::okies::okies:
    What vision, what work. Beautiful, well planned, well thought out.

10. Little Miss Road Rage

Ratings:
    +1
  11. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I intend to start work on this area/side of the house this week, weather allowing. This tatty old shed is to be moved and replaced with a greenhouse. To the right side of the shed are two very large old shrub roots to be dug up first. Branches cut of these got to 3 inches thick, roots should be fun!!

[​IMG]

Rear view of the shed also shows my sophisticated composting system !!

[​IMG]

Bags are full of last autumns leaves ;)

[​IMG]

From the side of the shed looking taowrds the front of the house.

[​IMG]

The shed (8x6) will be moved right up against the fence here and given a lick of paint, I'll be building a new stronger and bigger (12x7) shed next year or year after. And between the shed and new greenhouse, along the wall I'll be building a composting area with two or three bays in it. And the fence at the front needs doing and a decent gate too.

This is the first of three or four projects for this year.

12. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,429
    Knowing how quickly you get your projects done I expect you will have moved the shed by next week :lollol:

13. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    OMG...I have a schedule ? :lollol:

Steve...;)

14. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,429
    :hehe: :hehe: :lollol: :lollol:

15. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    For the record:

Digging in winter is not my idea of fun, I would much rather be extracting my fingernails one by one with a pair of Pliers, dipping fingernailess finger in salt finally washing that off with lemon juice seconds before bashing it with a 14lb lumphammer.

Generally, the ground is wet or frozen, if its frozen you cant dig it...if its wet?

Digging continues by means of using a "mud attractor", one on each foot and another in your hands that resembles a spade. Place handheld mud attractor in mud, and remove...skrape* mud attractor tool on wheelbarrow to remove the spawn of satan from handheld mud attractor, repeat as necessary until you have sunk ankle deep, free yourself, skrape and continue as before. Dont leave wheelbarrow unattended as the "gloop" might claim it !!

Note to self: Steve...your a noodle! Why didn't you dig this out back in August when you said you where going to?

*Software would not allow "c" in this word, perhaps someone should check swear filter setup in admin cp.;)