Cumbrian Garden Project

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Steve R, May 8, 2008.

1. scillygirl

scillygirl Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Steve, your thread has been really inspiring. Great to see you making progress. Best of luck with the glass tomorrow!

2. Julia Rose

Julia Rose Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow Steve,
    I just joined today and was looking around for inspiration and I've found it. The photo's of your garden project are brilliant, you have achieved so much. Congratulations on all your hard work, so many ideas, lovely.

3. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I did say "warts an' all" at the start.

I got on with the Glazing on Monday, paying particular attention to safety I made sure I handled the glass with a decent pair of gloves, made sure that when doing the roof I had a stable platform to stand on and that I had all clips ready to be used..before getting the next piece of glass.
    I started to glaze one side and had the lower pieces in all the way along, when walking away to get the next piece of glass, my hand "brushed" against one of the lower panes and cut my finger quite badly.

[​IMG]

Off to the GP's and as it was the outside of my finger they could deal with it using paper sutures, had it been the inside it would probably have damaged tendons. Here's the embarrassing bit, I fainted whilst at the docs..

[​IMG]

Tuesday, and I carried on with the glazing and when I finally got to the fourth of four glass boxes I was dissapointed to find 3 pieces broken, so it was off to Focus DIY to see if I could sort out some replacements. They could not have been more helpfull about it and once they had ascertained which of the four boxes had the peices in that I needed....I was given the whole box!
    Back home the greenhouse was soon finished and I have enough glass spare to redo the whole roof if I wanted to, I've now added a cold frame to the end of the list of my jobs...well you would...wouldn't you?

[​IMG]

Today I'll be tidying up the mortar on the brick base and hopefully getting some staging into the GH, the rest of the week I'll be sorting out an exterior and interior ramp for Anne as she has decreased mobility and then hopefully getting getting some seeds into trays.

Steve...:)

4. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Very neat and tidy Steve, good job :thumb:

5. Little Miss Road Rage

Little Miss Road Rage Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Awww bless hope your finger gets better soon. Thats the type of thing I do lol. Looks like things are coming along at rate knots

6. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I built some staging for the greenhouse and painted it yesterday, all recycled timber. A bit of effort collecting and then cleaning it up (de-nailing etc). Can be easily dismantled when needs change..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Looks Brilliant Steve, I could do with staging like yours :thmb:

8. Little Miss Road Rage

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow thats fab looks very organised and professional

9. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Good job Steve.:thumb:

10. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,442
    Brilliant job as usual :gnthb:.

The only difference between us is that I couldn't have done any of that as I'm useless at DIY and I would have fainted before getting to the GP :hehe: :rotfl:

11. Little Miss Road Rage

Ratings:
    +1
  12. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I've had one of those 4 shelf, zip-up greenhouses for a few years now, its served well but now I have transferred its contents to the real McCoy and I have officially "moved in" and started some seed off to.

[​IMG]

Whilst working in the greenhouse, here is the view out..:)

[​IMG]

I aquired some old scaffold boards last week and have made a raised bed (7ft x 3.5ft) for our strawberies, other things will be planeted in between them too. The timber atop the bed is to support netting to stop the birdies nicking our berries...and to stop our three cats "using" the bed...if you know what I mean.;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The space left between this new bed, greenhouse, shed and wall will have a new 3 bay compost area added in the coming days, but first I have to "make good" the wall as a very old ivy has nearly destroyed the wall, I've now removed the ivy and stump and as you can see, the wall is in a sad state.

[​IMG]

New compost area here

[​IMG]

Thats all for now, compost bins next.

13. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Steve - it's been nearly a year since I last looked in on your excellent thread. Your perseverance has really paid off. What a great garden you have created - and so eco-friendly in its construction.

I cannot wait to see how your pergola area has filled out this summer. You should get a prize for this - I think that your thread along with WOO's garden development and Bob in Devon are really all so inspiring.

I'd love to have a church like that as a next door neighbour. Do you still have your frogs?

Would your lovely lady mind if I borrowed you for a year?!

Well done :)

14. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Thank you Cookie, its nice comments like that, that spur me on to the next mini project. In fact its comments from all that encourage me and the help and advice and writings of all members here in the many different forum areas that help encourage me to carry on.

If your developing a garden I seriously recommend starting a topic of your own in here.

I have not seen the frogs yet this year but I'm sure they will still be around and about, especially when I get the mini pond done - another little mini project for later on that is. :lollol:...that will be inside another stone raised bed that will link the pergola and greenhouse sides of the garden together. I'll have to take some more Photo's to orientate everyone once I get the compost area done.

Steve for rent: My good lady (Anne) says I am available for rent, but I'm very expensive..:yho:

Thanks again Cookie, and to everyone else who have encouraged me here.

15. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Wow Steve, you're doing an excellent job as per. Like Cookie, I have only just caught up on your recent developments and glad to see it looking so good. Your staging is brilliant.

You did make me laugh with the story of your finger - I can just picture you fainting, lol.

Keep us informed with your progress.

cheers