1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Currently listening to.... 2016

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Fat Controller, Jan 2, 2016.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    A favourite of mine, Freddy :dbgrtmb:

My son introduced me to this version when we were driving up to Lincoln for his graduation last summer. An interesting version, for sure! I love the original, but I thoroughly enjoyed hearing David Draiman's vocals (his voice is amazing!)

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,504
      The Last Lennon/McCartney Song?

With thanks to Dr SotosOctopus :)

"Now And Then" (also known as "I Don't Want To Lose You" or "Miss You") is the name given to an unreleased composition by John Lennon. It was first recorded in demo form in 1978 and was considered in 1995 as a third possible reunion single by Lennon's former band, The Beatles, for their 1995 autobiographical project The Beatles Anthology.

Lennon wrote "Now And Then" in the late 1970s, around the same time as "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love". He recorded the unfinished piece of music in a demo form at his home at the Dakota Building, New York City, around 1979. The lyrics are typical of the apologetic love songs that Lennon wrote in the later half of his career. Despite reports, for the most part the verses are nearly complete, though there are still a few lines that Lennon did not flesh out on the demo tape performance.

In January 1994, Paul McCartney was given two tape cassettes by Lennon's widow Yoko Ono that included home recordings of songs Lennon never completed or released commercially. The songs on the tape included the eventually completed and released "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love", in addition to two other songs was a tape with the words "for Paul" scrawled hastily in John's handwriting, which included "Grow Old With Me" and "Now And Then". In March 1995, the three surviving Beatles began work on "Now And Then" by recording a rough backing track that was to be used as an overdub. However, after only two days of recording, all work on the song ceased and plans for a third reunion single were scrapped permanently.

According to McCartney, George Harrison "didn't want to do it," possibly because new verses would have had to be written. Producer Jeff Lynne reported that "It was one day—one afternoon, really—messing with it. The song had a chorus but is almost totally lacking in verses. We did the backing track, a rough go that we really didn't finish." An additional factor behind scrapping the song was a technical defect in the original recording. As with "Real Love", a 60-cycle mains hum can be heard throughout Lennon's demo recording. However, it was noticeably louder on '"Now And Then", making it much harder to remove.

Throughout 2005 and 2006, press reports speculated that McCartney and Starr would release a complete version of the song in the future. On 29 April 2007, the Daily Express reported that the song might be released to coincide with the Beatles catalogue being released for the first time via digital download. Additional reports circulated that same year that McCartney was hoping to complete the song as a "Lennon–McCartney composition" by writing new verses, laying down a new drum track recorded by Ringo Starr, and utilising archival recordings of Harrison's guitar work.

In April 2008, The Sun reported that "there have been discussions about finishing 'Now And Then.'" From there, the story was picked up and repeated by a number of music and entertainment media sources.

The only (unofficial) available recording of the song is Lennon's original demo. In February 2009, the same version of Lennon's recording was released on a bootleg CD, taken from a different source, with none of the "buzz" which hampered the Beatles recording of the song in 1995. The overdubs added in 1995 by the other surviving members have yet to surface.

A popular fan remix from 2007 called the "1995 edit" consists of Lennon's original demo along with instrumental overdubs by an unspecified artist and samples from various 1960s Beatles songs. Contrary to repeated misconception, this remix does not contain any of the work that the three surviving members of the Beatles recorded in the 1990s.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • shiney

Ratings:
        +118,504
        Keeping on The Beatles theme, here is the eight year old Ukrainian Anastasia Petrik singing 'Oh Darling'.

• Like Like x 2
        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +23,089
          A class act. Here's a later release...............

• Like Like x 2
          • shiney

Ratings:
            +118,504
            Excellent :dbgrtmb: @longk

A couple of my favourites from her early days (I've got them on her first album 'It's My Way')

This is a later recording and she sings it in her typical way with a tremolo in her voice. The words were very emotive.

Elvis made a big hit with it.

This is sung in a more conventional way

This is the title song from her first album

It was Buffy who introduced Joni Mitchell to the wider world of music. She sang some of her songs and gave Joni's tape to the music producers.

• Like Like x 1
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              She was wonderful!!!! :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +118,504
                @"M"

This is Anastasia aged 9 and her sister Viktoria aged 14

And both of them two years later

• Like Like x 1
                • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +31,885
                  :wow: :love30: :wow:

Beautiful voices, but, I have to say, the younger sister is pitch perfect! :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +6,953
                    One of the most beautiful pop video's I have seen in recent years.
                    Sooooooooooo sexy.

• Like Like x 2
                    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                      +19,596
                      one of my all time favourites. Most will know the English version, 99 red balloons, but I prefer the original German version.

It's starts off lighthearted and jolly but as it progresses it seems to be on about nuclear war. Looking back at the music of my youth, now I'm older and a bit wiser and can look beyond a catchy tune, it seems the fear/threat of nuclear war that everyone felt back then, made its way into quite a lot of mainstream music. I don't know if this plays any part in it, but at the time this song was released, the Soviet union was just in the process of collapsing, and Germany was still divided between east and west. Probably in hindsight there's no wonder the political turbulence of the time was leaking into German musical art.

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
                        +342
                        Bit of Meatloaf .

• Like Like x 3
                        • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +23,089
                          Radioheads album Kid A has been in the cd player this week.........

We went to see T2 Trainspotting last week and it was great to hear Queens Radio Ga Ga played loud in an auditorium again after many many years. So that has been blasted out at work along with Blondie and Frankie Goes To Hollywood..............

Of course, it fell unto us older members of the staff to educate the kiddies about the original Trainspotting so the soundtrack from the original film has been belted out as well..............

• Like Like x 2
                          • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                            +19,596
                            The best song ever made. Well, maybe, depending on your mood at the time you listen to it.

• Like Like x 3
                            • shiney

Ratings:
                              +118,504
                              Not one of my favourites but this song was written by the Big Bopper. It became a number 1 hit for Johnny Preston.

The Big Bopper Died in the plane crash with Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens.

Totally unrelated - but a nice gentle song playing whilst I'm typing :). Beautifully performed by Mary Travers

Still listening to my collection on random...and this came up....sung by another Mary (Hopkins)

It was a big hit for Mary but was firstly a big hit in 1959 (the year The Big Bopper died) for The Limelighters who adapted it from a 1920's Russian Song.

• Like Like x 2
                              • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
                                Ratings:
                                +5,368
                                That was February 3rd, 1959. There were four people that wanted to travel on the plane, but only space for three passengers. The toss of a coin decided who would not get on the plane. The loser was a guitarist called Tommy Allsupp, who died a few weeks ago.

Just now, I'm listening to this. The first two lines of the lyrics must be the best ever!

• Like Like x 3
                                • Informative Informative x 1