1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cutting back my hedge

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Victoria Plum, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    We have one of those evergreen hedges between us and next door. It is like a box hedge, but isn't, if you know what I mean. They are everywhere, but i am not sure what they are called. Pretty generic hedging!

What I want to know is this. When people cut them back severely they go a bit twiggy. Will the hedge grow back and cover that?

When the new neighbours moved in (not gardeners!) they cut it right back to bare wood, and consequently our side, which we cut into a nice round shape, os now slightly leaning over, and in the snow I thought it was going to snap!

I am just worried that if we do cut it right back we will end up with a twiggy hedge which will end up being see through.

Can anyone help? (If anyone understands my rambling post!) :hehe:

2. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    good luck with this victoria who does the hedge belong to? you or neighbour - i dont know how to deal with your hedge (i have a beech i trim twice a year) but i would just say the birds are looking for nesting places so i think you will need to either act fast or wait til the birds have flown their nests

loopy

3. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    hmmm... The hedge is ours and we love it, so do the birds. I'm just worried that it is uneven and therefore tipping slightly.

I wish I could tell you what type of hedge it is - but I'm not sure. I've even googled it and only thing that looks the same is box. I thought box was very expensive. It is has small dark green leaves on long stalks, which poke out when it needs cutting.

4. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Victoria

As I understand the problem, your new neighbour has cut the hedge back so hard on their side that you can't do the same on your side without making it transparent?

However, it's possible that your neighbours' actions will stimulate the hedge to grow even more vigorously on their side! (can't be sure without knowing the type). I think all you can do is cut it back a little after the nesting season is over and see how far you can go without destroying the whole purpose of the hedge.

I've never known an establshed hedge actually fall over because it was cut back unevely,

5. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Is it like this Victoria.. This is a privet hedge & very commonly used..

[​IMG] (photo courtesy Hedges Direct)

If it is Privet then Privet can take very hard pruning, so no real worries about damaging it. I think I would want to prune it into some kind of shape ASAP or wait till it has new spring growth & the birds have finished nesting & then trim it if it was me then.. If it is looking like it is leaning to one side can you prune it keeping it wider at the bottom than at the top. This will allow enough light to penetrate to the lowermost branches.
    As you trim, work from bottom to top, trimming the side branches before the uppermost branches.
    .. . Loosen the soil under it & feed it with a good Tree & Shrub fertilizer. Have a look in your local garden centre & mulch it well if you can with something like mushroom compost. As both sides will have been pruned & quite hard by the sound of it the plants then have to draw entirely on their reserves rather than being "powered" by the leafy sides, the hedge also looks very threadbare until new leaves have grown as well but it will recover. Then just lightly clip later in the year as it gets good growth on it.

6. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    This looks like it - and this is what I'm afraid of [​IMG]

7. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    I have found it - I think it's lonicera nitilda

[​IMG]

picture courtesy of Hedges Direct

8. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,899
    Hi Victoria Well found( Some times known as Poor mans or Woman's Box):)

Got this when I googled ,It might be of some help:thmb:

9. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Sounds like i might be ok then. Has anyone got experience of this hedge?

10. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    I reckon that will come back nice & green Victoria, no problem.. Get some tree & shrub feed if you like & that will certainly help it along...:thumb:

11. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    Brilliant Marley, thank you! I will trim back and feed. I have read while trying to identify the hedge, that hedges should be cut back so they are slightly thicker at the bottom, and slightly sloping in at the top. Is this to help light get to the leaves at the bottom of the hedge?