cycads

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pete, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the cycad patch......

I think this is mainly aimed at you Pete but obviously all contributions gratefully accepted.

1)The C. revoluta I pictured above has just started a new flush. (Looks like it has recovered). I just put it in the ground about 2 months ago. Should I re-pot it and bring it in for winter or build a cloche over it (argh!) or trust to my straw and hessian?

2)I have about 30 cycad seeds germinated. (4 types). 6 are showing first leaf. My greenhouse is planned for next spring. My 2 types not showing tap roots yet (silver siam and queen sago) can stay in the c.h. house. But what do I do with the 30?

Clean suggestions only please. :confused:

Free cycad seedling to the answer that works. (After all what do I want with 30+?)

John.

[ 22. August 2007, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Sarraceniac ]

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Well, sarraceniac, ..... as to the revoluta, I think I would leave it where it is and cover it with a closhe, open ended and on frosty nights only, throw a thick old blanket over the closhe.
    I see you are in scarborough, how cold does it get there? Are you near the coast or a bit inland?
    As for the seedlings, why did you grow so many? :D :D

Large window sills are the order of the day I think.
    Have you any that really need warm conditions? or can most take it cool.

3. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the prompt reply Pete.

I am right on the coast. About half a mile as the crow flies and it rarely gets as low as -3c here, last winter no lower than 0c and only once. My front garden is sheltered and south facing.

The reason I have 30 germinated seeds is that they were sold in 8s and 10s and only 4 did not germinate. I knew that the propagator was a good buy. [​IMG] I am worried about bringing them in the house as one d. edule put out a frond last winter and it just grew leggy and died. [​IMG]

j.

4. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Pete. A member of my local club, who is a good 'old-fashioned' gardener, but not into exotics, has just suggested buying one of those 10 quid, polythene sheeting temporary, 'greenhouses' and over wintering the cycads in that.

What do you think? I would hate to lose them, especially the burrawangs, which have put down a tap root (all 9 of the 10) but so far no fronds.

John

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    I would be a bit hesitant at overwintering such young plants in such a greenhouse unless you can heat it in some way, reliably and to a minimum of at least 10C.
    I'm not really up on the hardiness of many, but I did lose two, three year old, dioon edules to rot in my greenhouse a few years back at a min of 5C, along with a cycas "Marlborough Blue" that was really beginning to look interesting, so I am a bit over cautious now.
    Dioon spinulosum gets a winter min of 15C just in case, these put down a root first as they all do, but as I remember it was about six months before the first frond.

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Heating cables could be the answer perhaps.

7. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Right. Thanks. I've decided to bring them into the house. The boss will not be amused, she likes plants but a plethora of baby cycads might be past a joke. I'll have to buy her a couple of orchids. ;)

If anybody wants one as a gift just PM me your address and I will send you a rooted one, but no frond. Choice so far is C. revoluta, D. edule or Macrozamia communis (burrawang). I have some D. spinulosum, and C. cirinalis (Queen Sago) in the prop but won't offer those until I see germination rate. I also have just 3 siamensis but doubt if I will offer those.

John

8. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Pete, info please on Dioon Edule. Does it differ much in care and hardiness from C. Revoluta. Strange coincidence, I had a letter from the Palm Centre in Richmond the other day (it's where I bought the Brahia 2 years ago)telling me of their sale from saturday, normally I would bin it as from here it's not practical but we are going taking our son to Heathrow sunday so guess where I have persuded in-house advisor to go? It's better than driving back straight away so I hope to take advantage of the sale as they are discounting everything by 25% so I will be looking for a Butia Capitata and possibly a Dioon E. either �£10 or �£25 they are on the website so I might have a choice. As the Dioon looks tempting I thought I would seek your advice or anyone else who has grown it. The Encephalartos are all too dear to think about.

9. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Difficult to say strongy, but my guess is that Dioon edule needs dryer conditions than revoluta, especially in winter. I believe it comes from mexico and grows in fairly dry places.
    As I said I lost two plants in the greenhouse due to rot and low temps.
    The palm centre should be good, for a couple of hours wandering I should think, I've not been there for a few years now.
    I always wanted a bowenia, but they were a bit pricey when I was there, I've tried seed a couple of times but no luck.
    http://www.pacsoa.org.au/cycads/Bowenia/spectabilis.html

10. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Anyway, an update on the revolutas new fronds, there's fourteen coming.
    [​IMG]

11. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Excellent, pete, you beat me ... I only had twelve. [​IMG]

I think you've had yours a wee bit longer than me, mine is with me 20 months only and two new sets of fronds ... I've got a lot of catching up to do.

12. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    At least 15yrs LOL, LoL. :D
    But bear in mind its done nothing for the last three.

13. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
  14. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Thought I'd show you one my latest additions as of yesterday. As the Palm Centre was doing 30% of Butias I picked this one as it had a far more meaty trunk than the others it was only Ã?£30 reduced to Ã?£20 which was a bargain. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I did get another Chamy H Cerifera which was better than the one I already have.
    I decided the Dioon was too risky. :(

15. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,162
    Superb, pete!

strongy, I don't know that but it looks very nice and certainly was a bargain by your standards ... will check it out here, but we've not always cheaper. [​IMG]