cycads

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by pete, Aug 5, 2007.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Thanks LoL.
    It certainly looks a nice plant strongy, it even looks like its got some very early foliage still nice and green.
    Hope it does well,........ now do you pot it on straight away or leave it till next year. [​IMG] :D

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    I potted it this evening as it was root bound, the Chamy even more so and will do that one tomorrow. [​IMG]

3. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    I think I would have as well, I've noticed that most of my palms in pots make very little new root or growth until July, then by September the roots are really getting going.

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    The Phoenix I planted in a large container and the other Chamy H C have made no growth at all but I suspect are having a settling in period, may kick off next year.

5. palmate

palmate Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I wrapped mine in a thermal fleece bag all last winter after late flushing. No damage whatsoever to the fronds after a previous years flush succumbing to the cold and many turning white as a result. I've a small one put up 4 fronds, having moved it twice this year before planting it in rich soil with heavy nitrogen fertilising after 2 years dormancy.

It is in a pot now on my patio after the slugs started to have a go at it.

6. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Mine stays out all winter if there is to be a frost I just throw fleece over it, it does better than the one in the house and gets more leaves on it too!

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    Mines about finished growing the new fronds, now they need to harden up.

[​IMG]

8. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm just sweating cods. I got one in the ground (picture near the beginning of this thread) and 30 (sorry, you got 2 Pete) so that's 28 total babies. Now 15 first fronding. I think I made a mistake with greenhouse timing. So Boss lady is not talking to me, 28 baby cycads need to come in needing high light levels, no greenhouse, I think I want to be sick. Pray for a warm winter cos half of them are having to stay in an unheated cold frame. I don't want to talk about this, can we change the subject? I repeat DOES ANYBODY WANT FREE GERMINATED CYCADS?

9. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
  10. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    I think one of the ones you sent me John is just starting to put up a frond.
    I really would like to take some more off your hands but I have not really got the room, its suprising how, although slow growing, they creep up on you and suddenly your starting to wonder what to do with a plant a couple of feet across and growing.
    They really need space around them to grow well and not get deformed fronds. [​IMG]

11. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Dee, if you PM me your address and say whether you want a Cycas revoluta, Dioon edule or Macrozamia communis, or all, or aren't bothered, I will send. It is easier to pack one that is not yet putting out a frond but is on the verge of doing so. So that's what it will be.

12. palmate

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice Butia Capitata. I bought a 4 year old seedling from 'the palm house', small nursery in Devon. Yours looks around 6 years old. Mine however turned out to be a genetic hybrid Butia Capitata/Syagrus Romanzoffiana or xButyagrus nabbonnandi, sterile Mule palm and most likely a very rare natural hybrid, they do occur although most commercial occurrences are hand pollenated.

Try getting hold of one of those, although you'll have to pay handsomely unless you're lucky and the rest of their stock is from the same batch.

Whoops! - Meant to post as a reply to a later post by Pete !!!!

[email protected]

13. palmate

Ratings:
    +0
    Can't you put them on your kitchen sill or elsewhere in the house. Low light levels won't harm them, though they will stretch the fronds a bit. I have 3 cycas Panzihuaensis(chinese blue Dukou cycad) which have flushed twice this year.No problems with low heat/light levels though they do spend the winter in my loft with 2 skylights for added daylight.Supplement with artificial light from a spotlight.

If you don't wish to bother I would take them off you!!

14. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    You are welcome to a couple of them Palmate, if you PM me your address. I won't answer your suggestion of having them on the (north facing) kitchen window sill etc. directly, simply ask....'Are you married?' [​IMG] :D

15. palmate

Ratings:
    +0
    I am finalising a divorce. My house is mine to fill with seedlings as I please and I make a point of it. I know how you feel. Try and tell her live plants are better than bunches of cut flowers stuck in a bowl of water and so much more environmentally friendly!! and think of the volatile organic chemicals they extract from the air.

I'll pm the address if you don't mind. They'll go well with My C.Panzihuaensis seedlings.

Cheers!