Damping off.....your experiences/solutions please!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by r2oo, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Ahaa..racing along now - no stopping you :D [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. r2oo

r2oo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, thanks for the help. Once you know the basic do's & dont's it's pretty straight forward.

Nature sure has a way of surprising you sometimes too. Some of the seeds trays that I had put down to failures i just left outside. They had been there for weeks in the rain, snow, frost & wind. I noticed last weekend that there were lots of tiny little green shoots popping up. Amazing! [​IMG]

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Yes, Dendy's impressed! You've got a lot more going than I have, that's for sure - but I'll catch up! :D

Aren't plants a lot tougher than you think? It always surprises me too - but it shouldn't. Just think of snowdrops, coming up through frozen ground and snpow - and they look so fragile......

4. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Dendy: I've seen tomato plants that have germinated from somebody's discarded picnic on the beach at North Berwick. They were flowering quite happily :D

Vernal Equinox was today so we are now into 12+ hours of sunlight. Everything will be on a roll to grow as fast as it can so any late seeds will soon catch up.

5. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,i think i`m gonna loose the carnations i started in the Gh. :( I put the seeds in on the 9th March and it says on the packet 14-21 days for germination.They showed after just 11 but yesterday i noticed fur on the stems.I didn`t cover them,and i watererd from below.It is an average 60 in the gh during the day,but i imagine the temp drops some at night.Is it damping off?Maybe i just did them too early? [​IMG]

6. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying something new with my seeds and seedlings... instead of watering them, I am using a water spray each day to make sure the compost gets damp but not soggy.... so far so good. Then once a week, I plan to stand the pots in water for a few minutes to soak up water from the bottom of the pots [​IMG]

7. r2oo

r2oo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have now stopped watering from the top alltogether & haven't seen any damping of since! I now wait until the compost looks like its drying out then i pour water into bottom of the propagators until its about 2cm up from the bottom of the seed trays.

THey sup it up right to the top. Job done.

THe only time i do spray the surface is just after I have sown the seens & that is with cheshunt compound.

8. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi r200,where do you buy your chestnut compound?I asked at Focus and the man said they don`t do it anymore.He went on to say that alot of the chemicals had been taken off the market,but if you have it, it must still be for sale somewhere?

9. r2oo

r2oo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Elaine, got mine from Wyevale but most Garden Centres should have it.
    It's not cheap �£5-�£6 a tin.
    Keep it away from your face when you open it coz the fumes burn your eyeballs!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thankyou, r2oo. :)If i ever manage to get my hands on some,i will be careful.

11. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  12. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers dendrobium.I filled in the details,got to credit card details and have just spent the last 10 minuites searching for the card.I`ve probably thrown it in the bin! :( Must telephone the bank first thing in the morning!!