1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

David Austin vs Poundstretcher

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Snorky85, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Snorky, grow something better than roses :rasp:
    Hope WO doesnt read this :). If he does I do grow a few christmas roses.....H. Niger :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

Clean air is, ironically, not good for roses so at least you know you are living in a healthy place Snorky.:heehee:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
      Ratings:
      +10,972
      @Verdun but i couldn't bring myself to get rid of them! There are so many in the front garden!:roflol:

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,608
        Can I have a say too please? :)

I moved to Scotland a year ago, previous to that I was living in one of the cleanest air places in the British Isles - the Isle of Man. Living on the west coast there, often with dreadful weather and gardening with sandy soil I had no problems growing roses. The only rose of nine in a bed that suffered black spot was one that was prone to it and it didn't infect the others. 'Rob Roy' (floribunda) only suffered black spot late in the flowering season.

Rob Roy
        Rose 'Rob Roy' (2).JPG

The bed was mulched with home produced compost twice a year and the roses fed with chicken manure pellets twice in the growing season and once with blood, fish & bone.

I believe shrub, climbing and rambling roses thrive directly in the ground as it's not restricting root growth, no matter which type of soil. We all know they are hungry and thirsty plants and trying to maintain that is very difficult in any pot or planter.

I have never owned a David Austin rose and never intend buying one. In my opinion they are expensive and over rated and the name is what draws buyers to them. All my roses, with the exception of Rob Roy above (it wasn't listed) were bought bare rooted from a fairly well known grower/supplier in Essex, at less than half the price of David Austin roses and all were good healthy shrubs on arrival.

Condition of roses I believe is down to the individually named plant and how it is tended, some are more susceptible to disease than others.

All my roses were Floribunda's and I chose those because they are hardy and coped with the climate of the area I lived in. :)

• Like Like x 4
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,890
          Can i add also that i for one am glad that GC's etc sell bedding etc in March ( or Winter months ) . I tend to buy my new Fuchsias for example around November.
          If people buy tender plants without doing research and then leave them outside to die thats their fault not the GC's.
          As for labelling etc , i can't remember the last time i bought a plant which wasn't labelled hardy/half-hardy, tender etc.

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Verdun

Ratings:
            +17,487
            Pennisetum Rubrum often labelled as perennial yet only now being offered in the gc's in full flower; even if correctly labelled as tender perennials they are unlikely to survive our dark, cold winters in a cold gh because they need extra care and luck. So this is not right. A forum member bought some and expected them to continue year after year......they will deteriorate in a matter of 2 to 4 weeks! I see so many people buying plants in the gc's that simply wont grow in their gardens.....trolleys with dianthus and rhododendrons for example; the former needing lime the latter hating it. Many people DO this. They buy on impulse. GC's do not generally advise them properly; many working in the GC's simply do not know either:noidea:

However, have to say Sheal has made a lot of sense about roses and I agree with most of it. Cornwall simply is not an ideal place for roses .....it is accepted here.....but with knowledge and diligence they can be grown well here. Remember, Cornwall can boast some of the finest gardens and roses are grown to perfection. :) I accept roses are loved by the majority but there are better choices for many situations.

Re advice to customers, I used to grow and sell plants and visitors from "up country" would call in good numbers. Many would crave the many tender things I had but I would ask where they lived and gave full advice.....the gc's didnt. Often it meant the loss of a sale but year after year they would return. :)

• Like Like x 4
            • alana

alana Super Gardener

Head Gardener
              Ratings:
              +2,618
              I have a mixture of cheap and cheerful GC roses bought in less affluent days and Peter Beales shrub roses (our local rose nursery) which have been specially sourced and have been more costly. Both perform well.
              My garden is clay based improved considerably over the years. The roses do well and they all flower profusely. However I too get the foliage problems but I happily overlook the thorns and occasional blackspot and mildew to embrace the beauty of the flowers.
              I couldn't have a garden without roses.

• Like Like x 4
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,608
                Roses have to be an individual's passion to give them the attention they need. If that passion isn't there then there's no point in considering them. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
                • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                  Ratings:
                  +10,972
                  IMG_1837.JPG

I am so annoyed with this rose (queen elizabeth i think) I had it looking lovely and I go away for a couple of weeks and the black spot has gone mad. Id been takig leaves off as soon as anything appeared, didn't leave any infected leaves around, used rose clear, fed the roses. It has such pretty and sweet smelling flowers but the bad leaves make it so annoying. Humph.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • Verdun

Ratings:
                    +17,487
                    Sssshhh Snorky.........replace with a choisya or daphne odora aureomarginata. In a corner here I have a large choisya and the scent from a reblooming is wonderful this morning :).
                    In spring there is nothing as intoxicating as daphne :hapfeet:

• Funny Funny x 2
                    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                      Ratings:
                      +10,972
                      I've got a lovely callicarpa next to it that's starting to turn purple.

Will have to look into doing a full redesign @Verdun

IMG_1838.JPG

• Like Like x 2
                      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +52,608
                        It's late in the season @Snorky85 and black spot at it's worst now.

I'm fond of Choisya too @Verdun but wouldn't replace the roses. :biggrin:

Choisya is a tough plant and my 'Sundance' survived a snow burial on it's side for four weeks but fought it's way back. :)
                        Choisya 'Sundance' (1).JPG

• Like Like x 2
                        • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                          Ratings:
                          +10,972
                          That's lovely @Sheal! Definitely going to look into getting one of those!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +52,608
                            Thanks Snorky. :) It brightens up a dark shady area which is why I chose it for that corner.

• Like Like x 1
                            • Verdun

Ratings:
                              +17,487
                              What a coincidence!!! I was going to suggest Choisya Sundance next to Callicarpa. here it is superb all year round. It does need dappled shade
                              Re the rose, I think black spot will spoil it every year and at peak time too so in that show spot you need something looking good all year round Snorky.

• Like Like x 2
                              • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                                +100,836
                                Well, I'm not a Rose fanatic and not a great lover of pink roses, merely because there always seems to be a pink rose in every garden:dunno:, but I do have around 18 or so shrub and climbing roses around the garden. I don't think roses are over rated except perhaps only by the Marketing people. I take it by "vicious" you're referring to the thorns?, Verdun, but then most rose growers will wear proper gardening gloves when pruning or handling them and I very rarely get scratched or stabbed when doing the annual prune. I think I'd rather prune roses than some of the plants in my borders that exude sap or have "hairs" that can cause rashes or allergic reactions:dunno:

Again, I think you're being a bit harsh as, like most plants, a Rose in the right place can set off the atmosphere and add colour to a garden. What I do believe is that perhaps certain growers and sellers who, admittedly, have done a lot of work improving and creating new roses and their disease resistance, are themselves over rated and charge rather high prices because of their standing in the Market.
                                I buy from any source that has a rose, or any other plant, that I want but I've never bought a rose on the basis that it comes from a grower who seems, because of clever marketing, to be held in almost Godlike reverence and an expectancy that their roses must be the best in quality and will grow into a superb plant because it comes from them. Around Cheshire there are a large number of professional commercial rose growers and I buy from them, as well as cheap bargain plants in pots from Nurseries and shops, plus buying bare root plants from East Anglia.

We had a member some time ago who was, according to him, a commercial rose grower and he preached that we should all get rid of the "old" roses and buy only the new "disease resistant and disease free" modern roses. He "disappeared" when members, including me, disagreed with him saying that they liked the old roses for various reasons and accepted the "vices" of blackspot, rust, mildew, and leaf cutter Bees. Most of my roses will suffer from those problems but seeing them burst into bloom pays me back ten fold as do other plants that flower well. Apart from dead heading and the occasional watering of Tomato Feed I leave my roses alone to do their thing as I have tried, in the earlier years, spraying them with Rose Clear and the like and found they still doggedly got Blackspot, Rust and Mildew and probably even worse:dunno::heehee:

Well, perhaps my Roses haven't read the books of the experts as I garden on a depth of 300' to 450' of pure sand that has had 30 years of improvement to it but still drains quickly and even now is a "hungry" soil. I've never had any problems with growing roses in sandy soil and all have flourished, flowered well........all that is except one and that is Rose "Kings Ransom"
                                upload_2017-9-26_23-38-36.jpeg

It was bought in the early 80's and I have admired the way it has struggled to produce stems and flower every year but has done so with great determination. It obviously has read the book on the fact that it's happiest in clay while all my other roses flower their heads off and seem to be extending their season.
                                So I have never bought from highly revered, expensive, to me:dunno:, Rose Growers, and have found, probably like many of the GC Gang, that some of the cheapest plants have done the best and given us the most pleasure.:heehee:

• Agree Agree x 2
                                • Like Like x 1
                                • Informative Informative x 1
                                  Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2017