David Cameron's new Benefits

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clueless1, Jun 25, 2012.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,476
    You weren't the family in the other hole in the road, were you?

• Like Like x 1
    • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,839
      This a serious matter thread. we' re gonna get a smack in a minute:heehee:

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Getting back to topic, that tale makes me wonder whether families who have a second child of the same sex as earlier ones actually need the same amount of Tax Credit, Family Allowance, JSA, etc. as those who say have a boy then a girl, as they could be dressed in 'hand me down' clothes, share toys, bicycles, bedrooms (& therefore have lower heating costs), etc., thus reducing wasteful benefit payments (similar to what's done with Housing Benefit).

Any other suggestions?

• Jenny namaste

Ratings:
      +31,839
      Our local hospice shop has more pristine "cast off" toys that you can throw bricks at. A newborn baby has about 12 sets of 0 to 6 month starter sets from doting grand parents and friends. Why so many?
      Start a pension fund account instead.

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      That's could be the basis of further savings - base the clothing element of benefits charity shop/jumble sale/car boot prices, and reduce maternity grants for non-workers as they can hunt around for cheap 2nd hand stuff.

Keep them coming.

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,730
      If you have a girl followed by a boy, make the boy wear his sister's old pink dresses. It saves money and is character building.

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Some blue Dylon and it's sorted.

What about reducing the food element of all benefits? If housing benefit is being paid for a property with a garden then they can grow some of their own stuff. If not working they'll also have the time to forage in the hedgerows and hang around supermarkets until they reduce their end of shelf life food? No Garden? - then make some window boxes, tubs, etc. out of old pallets.

P.S. If you think all of those suggestions are rather harsh, I've done and still do all of those (except the blue Dylon one).

• Like Like x 1
      • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,730
        I've noticed that immigrant families in my area make their food money stretch much further than native born Brits simply because they are prepared to spend their time scouring shops for the cheapest options and indeed grow their own stuff. We used to have a greengrocer's shop over the road. The owner was always moaning that mums on benefits wouldn't touch anything that didn't come out of a freezer, oven ready.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +51,884
        You are, of course, correct - but I do feel that a lot of that greed is borne out of other situations, particularly when it comes to those who are in employment. For example, I remember when I was a kid, everything bar hospitals etc and maybe the odd corner shop was shut on a Sunday. Even Saturdays were fairly quiet back then, and the thought of shops being open 24hrs a day would have been alien to us.

Back then, parents would be at home with their kids (more often than not, mothers would only work part-time at most, and that was for a wee bit extra), and would be able to spend quality time at home, gardening, going for walks and stuff.

Nowadays, those of us in employment have to work longer and longer hours just to keep some semblance of quality of life - however I am sure the phrase 'why the hell shouldn't I' is repeated over and over up and down this country, particularly when it comes to justifying the purchase of a plasma TV or similar.

I would openly admit that I am one of those that has resorted to credit to get 'luxury' items because I simply could not afford them any other way, however I refuse to be made to feel bad for doing so.

Almost invariably, I work six or seven days a week (my last day off was 10th June, and my next is likely to be the 8th July all being well) - on top of that, I am on call 24/7. I get paid for 7 hours a day, yet regularly do 9 or 10 for no extra money, and I pay handsomely in private rent (over a grand a month) for a small two bedroom home. When I do get a few hours off in the evening, or a day off, I feel that I am entitled to have some of the nicer things in life - why the hell shouldn't I?

Also, kids bear the brunt of it too - for the past two months, I have been pretty much glued to a PC when I am not in meetings, producing the relevant documentation for the Olympics (again, many many hours of which are unpaid). That means, sadly, that my better half and my daughter are left to their own devices - and in the case of kids in modern society (especially round here), that is either toys in the back garden or computer games;

I hate it, but there is nothing I can do about it, and I go back to my argument for making work worthwhile, and stimulating the economy in ways other than throwing money at it. I don't want to earn more - I want to have to pay out less.

• Like Like x 1
        • Sparra

Sparra Gardener

Mum
          Ratings:
          +240
          My dd's 10 are wearing clothes my ds had when he was 14, he is now 19, due to him being disabled (from birth) some clothes don't last, and they are certainly not branded clothes.
          Ds uses wheelchair, in pain daily, and as well as his college subjects he also doing another course , paying for it himself, all because he is worried that any job he goes for, he will be passed over for an "able bodied" person, not all people who claim are happy with that life style, Ds would give anything to be pain free, be able to walk and rely on no one for basic needs.

However there are far more people who are happy to live the lifestyle of the world owes me everything, which unfortunately ruins it for all the legitimate cases.

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,730
          Thanks for your post, Sparra. No one could label your family as undeserving. I do hope everything works out.

• Like Like x 2
          • Sparra

Sparra Gardener

Mum
            Ratings:
            +240
            Thank you ClaraLou, Luckily ds is very stubborn, don't know where he gets it from :whistle:

I know people who refuse to seek help just so they will not be tared with the "scrounger" label, but also have heard of parents my age advising their offspring of how to wangle this and that with as little effort as possible, It is maddening.

• Jenny namaste

Ratings:
            +31,839
            I have followed this thread from start to finish ( no - nowhere near finished yet) and I haven't seen anything that condones the "benefits for nowt" ethic.
            It's quite a cathartic thread and it can only do good to voice our opinions. It isn't going to get better in the near future. Maybe it will never get back to where it was, in cloud cuckoo land. I don't think we are the revolution type in GB ,all we can do is vote for change at the next election.
            Thank goodness I have a little garden.

• Like Like x 4
            • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
              At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
              Ratings:
              +51,884
              Very true Jenny - sadly, the choice of political parties is currently similar to choosing between gouging ones eyes out with a fork or a spoon.

I completely agree that the 'something for nothing' routine is long overdue to come to an end, however I am equally aware that there is a desperate need for a welfare system, and many of those who are on benefits simply have no other choice. And I maintain that the ONLY way that the costs of the benefit system will ever be controlled in the long term (note I said controlled, and not reduced), is to accept that the need exists and to bring the solutions 'in-house' rather than continuing to line the pockets of private companies and individuals.

• Like Like x 1
              • Scrungee

Ratings:
                +28,997
                I think some of those claiming benefits need educating in how to use their spare time in being frugal/growing their own stuff. Some people actually complained when Mrs Scrungee suggested to them that they would reduce their expenditure and perhaps not have their homes repossessed/be evicted if they grew some food in their garden rather than buy stuff in packets from supermarkets.

If you're finding your heating bills excessive you can go a charity shop and buy thick woolly jumpers and then collect fir cones/sticks from the woods to burn in your fireplace to top up the turned down heating. Try suggesting that to some people though.

• Like Like x 3