Daylily "Hemerocallis 2013 S W S

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Spruce, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Wylie

Wylie Super Gardener

USN, Retired
    Ratings:
    +783
    I have another one of those unexpected results, this time on a seedling of Dakar x Open My Eyes. You would expect a dark, almost black flower like I have gotten on others. Instead, this is what happened:
    Dakar x Open My Eyes.JPG
    It opens with a very pale pink self and a light pink eye; then during the day it looks white with no eye; and after the sun has gone off of it, it returns to this.
    Country Pride x Small Gesture.JPG
    A second double of the cross Country Pride x Small Gesture. Still only 4" across, but a bud count of 20.
    White Pink Dragon x Arnette Zapel.JPG
    A second sdlg of White Pink Dragon x Arnette Zapel. This is so curled, it is only 4" across - remember you aren't allowed to touch or unroll when measuring except when doing the spider ratio for the length of the petal (but not the width).
    Mount Herman sdlg.JPG
    A seedling from Mount Herman Razzle Dazzle - nice red wire edge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352
      I found this interesting what this guy does and looks into the pedigree of what he is breeding , I have "Lochness Monster" I got from Liloon on here found this when I was looking for a good picture of it , yet to flower with me but only got it last year so hopefully this year should flower it has gone up to 3 fans now so .... fingers crossed

http://www.brianmahieu.com/lnm_pedigree.html

Wylie
      "A seedling from Mount Herman Razzle Dazzle - nice red wire edge" .
      The edge on this is really good , hopefully me and Simbad will start posting pictures on this thread soon :wallbanging:

• Like Like x 2
      • Wylie

Wylie Super Gardener

USN, Retired
        Ratings:
        +783
        I have a couple of crosses that use Apophis - a plant that Brian Mahieu made. He is no longer involved in hybridizing, but does have some interesting articles on his website. You need a degree in Botany to follow those types of articles.
        I'm looking forward to your photos - I saw the ones Simbad posted on GOY of her other flowers, and I really like the way she takes photos.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,318
          I ordered some lovely seeds last year from the BHHS seed scheme one in particular looked really interesting, can't remember the cross now :wallbanging:, but saw that most of the children of one parent had gorgeous twisting/curling spidery flowers and the secretary showed me some plants she'd grown involving this plant which were stunning, when the seeds arrived this cross wasn't included the seed donater had decided to grow them themselves :cry3: , so suppose it does pay off to do a bit of research into what your crossing, a good pastime for the winter months :heehee:.
          Love the Dakar cross Wylie lovely delicate colouring and can see the White Eye's Pink Dragon crosses are all going to be gorgeous:wub2: to which gets me excited as you know I have some seedling from a cross of that from last year.
          Aaaaw glad you're liking my pictures on GOY , new camera :heehee: and pure luck I think still haven't got used to all the things it can do :rolleyespink: I use the automatic option at the moment :)

• Like Like x 2
          • Wylie

Wylie Super Gardener

USN, Retired
            Ratings:
            +783
            I like the auto function on my camera, but there are times I wish I could do the focusing, so the only way I fuss with my photos is to crop them on the computer. That makes the image larger and you don't have to "frame" it as much before taking the photo. I was given a bit of advice last year that the foliage in the background was yellow or brown, so I should be paying more attention to cleaning up the plants.

• Like Like x 1
            • Spruce

Ratings:
              +12,352
              Whylie

the ones in pots that flower I place in front of my purple acer for a photo.

001.JPG

• Like Like x 2
              • Wylie

Wylie Super Gardener

USN, Retired
                Ratings:
                +783
                I really like this one, but then I am into the doubles. I put 2 seedlings into pots 3 years ago and I am still waiting for them to flower. I have one for you that I'm pretty sure you are going to like:
                Grey Witch x Spider Miracle.JPG
                This is Grey Witch x Spider Miracle and is 9.5" across. It tried to open this morning, but I am have a grey-day, and have to wait until the afternoon for the flowers to open all the way. Here is a side view of this:
                Grey Witch x Spider Miracle (2).JPG
                There is little for the auto-focus to center on, so it took several tries to get something with a clear image.
                To brighten the day, there is Fun In The Sunshine:
                Fun In The Sunshine.JPG
                A large 6" TET. Or there is this:
                South Pacific x Talladega.JPG
                South Pacific x Talladega. This is another one of those bonus seeds, and is a 6" TET.
                Open today is Frankenflower:
                Frankenflower.JPG
                This one is double only 50% of the time and is by Dan Hansen, who describes it as being "flesh colored".

• Like Like x 2
                • Spruce

Ratings:
                  +12,352
                  "This is Grey Witch x Spider Miracle and is 9.5" across".:dancy: very nice , reminds me of "Skinwalker " but your's has narrower petals what the bud count up to know on this one ?

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
                  • Wylie

Wylie Super Gardener

USN, Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +783
                    The bud count is only 10, but there are 2 scapes, each with 3 way branching.

• simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +3,318
                    Another lovely set of photos Wylie think my favourites Frankenflower no surprise there :heehee:
                    'Skinwalker's' been on my wish list for ages Spruce love it, see Pollie had it, didn't get round to ordering any this spring but maybe in the autumn and that'll be top of the list :dbgrtmb:, just need to get another extension on that daylily bed :lunapic 130165696578242 5:.
                    I haven't even found how to crop photo's yet Wylie I'll have to get the kids to show me :redface:.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Wylie

Wylie Super Gardener

USN, Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +783
                      The plants I got at the beginning of this month from Pollie have already put up scapes! You know that Sheila had some sort of accident and hasn't been able to get around very well.:gaah: I load my photos on to my computer, and when I view them full size, there is an option at the top to "Fix". Then I select 'Crop Picture' on the right. If you don't cancel the fix, it will save it that wat when you exit or go to the next picture.
                      I have been busy today - I only had 100 tags for crosses, and with Free Wheelin' and all of my new applique throated sdlgs open, I used up all my tags and had to make another 25. Not everything sets seed, so my tag list isn't chronological. I also made some more keep tags for sdlgs from last year. But today I had some really good edges like this:
                      Celestial Empire x Bold Paint.JPG
                      Celestial Empire x Bold Paint. Only 4.5"
                      St Croix x God Save the Queen.JPG
                      St Croix x God Save the Queen. This one is getting teeth, and I tried crossing it with the dark applique throated one I have.
                      Then there is another of the White Eyes Pink Dragon group:
                      White Eyes Pink Dragon x Arnette Zapel.JPG
                      White Eyes Pink Dragon x Arnette Zapel. Purple self with light lavender halo.

• Like Like x 2
                      • Wylie

Wylie Super Gardener

USN, Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +783
                        I'm suprised to that Yabba Dabba Doo and Unidentified Flying Object have put up scapes:dancy:
                        I have one that is struggling to open all the way -
                        Spacecoast Dragon Prince.JPG
                        This is Spacecoast Dragon Prince, and after almost the entire scape has bloomed, this is the most it has opened. That means I need to move it to the sunniest place I can find (but the pollen is still good:snork:
                        Purple Maze x Infinity & Beyond (2).JPG
                        Purple Maze x Infinity & Beyond
                        Becky Lynn x Terry Lyhinger.JPG
                        Becky Lynn x Terry Lyhinger, a pinched throat, very open.
                        Marked By Lydia x Clairvoyant Lady.JPG
                        Marked By Lydia x Clairvoyant Lady. This is the first of this group [of 6 sdlgs] to open. Almost reminds me of the "Prism" types, but gotta love the throat.

• Like Like x 2
                        • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +3,318
                          No I didn't know Sheila had had an accident, poor thing, must be so frustrating when there's so much to do in the garden.
                          Aaaah so thats how you crop and fix a picture I've seen the crop and fix options but didn't know that just by exiting the picture it saves it :redface:.
                          So many lovely pictures again Wylie your seedlings are even better than a lot of registered varieties the throat on the Marked by Lydia cross is beautiful and the Purple Maze cross reminds me very much of Changing Latitudes ?
                          Buds on Yabba Dabba Doo and UFO !!!! thats incredible even beating the ones here :dbgrtmb:

• Wylie

Wylie Super Gardener

USN, Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +783
                          I can see the similarities, but mind is evergreen, is about 2" larger, and is a TET instead of a DIP.:smile:
                          We get those UK shows where Brits head south to warmer climates and get crazy. I think that's what yours and Pollies' plants have done (Star of India and Etched Eyes have scapes).
                          My avatar is back:
                          Big Kiss x Barn Owl.JPG
                          Big Kiss x Barn Owl. I am trying to cross it with the new Spotted Fever x Screaming Eels. The result is very open - Spotted Fever is a double, and the cross with Screaming Eels is a 6" spider, so if it takes (BKxBO is fertile as a pod parent, SFxSE hasn't worked as for pods), it could go either way.
                          If you want a spectacular sight, here is Eder sdlg 0084:
                          Eder 0084 (2).JPG
                          5 flowers at once! This is another one I am having trouble setting pods on. Today the pink Amber Rhum x Kazoo applique eye is open, so I used its pollen on this, and used pollen from that 8" Angel Fairy Tern x Judge Nancy on it. I am also using pollen from AFTxJN on Som Many Stars.

• Like Like x 2
                          • Spruce

Ratings:
                            +12,352
                            Celestial Empire x Bold Paint.

Becky Lynn x Terry Lyhinger
                            Eder sdlg 0084:

Hi Agree with Simbad they look better than most registered

fab as usual , wish I had more space

Spruce

• Like Like x 1