December 2006 Photo Competition ......... Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Photo Competitions' started by Webmaster, Dec 3, 2006.

1. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Love the Big Issue seller H - and youre right about not thinking about the person - we are all guilty of it in some way :(

LOL - your pics are great [​IMG]

2. tig

tig Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    platanoide does your picture contain a hidden message, perhaps a suggestion that we dont see the real celebration of christmas ? if so i think youve put some thought into your picture.well done.HB the big issue is well thought of too. 2 good photos for the spirit of christmas

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    The standard so far is incredible!! I haven't had any ideas at all - maybe soon? Not got very long, though! :rolleyes:

4. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly Dendy! These are very good photos indead and I will need to come up with something very special to join in! HELP!!!!

5. GREENWIZARD

GREENWIZARD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    bet you got some funny looks WF when peeps seen you take a pic of your groceries ;) [​IMG]
    nice selection of pics but my fave so far is r's cat

6. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    GreenWizard- I'm so flattered you named one of your pics after me [​IMG] You've captured my essence perfectly!!!! :D :D :D :D

7. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Greenwizard..I dont care what they think it was my trolley..You can tell its mine cant you the way everything is just thrown in untidy.. :D I have got to go again yet grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

8. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    HB.I think the same as you about the Big Issue Seller.When I was walking round our local town last Saturday there were a couple of young men sitting in shop door ways with a blanket round them.It has so touched me.This week I have been thinking of them,and the fact that I have a warm home to come home to and hot meals inside me and a nice warm bed to sleep in.I feel I should go back and give them some money so that they can at least buy a hot meal.It is such a tragedy that people have to end up this way.I know they say that there are people who use this as a way of living,but the images of these young men won't leave me...Am I the only one who thinks this way? :(

9. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Seems a hard life to me and I can't understand why anyone would choose it if they weren't forced to by circumstances. Maybe it's drugs, maybe they were abused at home. Who knows?

They buy copies of Big Issue magazine at 70p each. They then sell them for �£1.50 or whatever extra anyone gives them. So they make 80p minimum on each issue. That means they are going to have to sell 7 or 8 copies an hour for 8 hours a day to make the minimum wage. Standing around in the cold all day must be the hardest way of earning a living. Every one of them is someone's son or daughter. Sad.

10. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    This isn't the right thread for this, and maybe it should be moved, but I agree with you HB that maybe it's drugs or abuse at home, whatever.

However, isn't it possible for them to get a "proper" job and therefore a "home" or is it the Catch 22 situation?

I also appreciate they are someone's son or daughter .... but does that parent care or even know where or what their child is doing?

Look at this horrendous situation in Suffolk at the moment with the prostitutes ... they won't get off the street because they need the money (and mostly for drugs). Maybe the Government should be a bit more helpful.

Perhaps a Mod could move these threads to something appropriately entitled ???

11. GREENWIZARD

GREENWIZARD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    you know you are always in my thoughts ;) [​IMG]

12. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Can I have them with my Sunday roast, please, GW, as they are rare here and expensive when you can get them!

I do have seeds and I planted some this year but some critters ate them all! :eek:

13. GREENWIZARD

GREENWIZARD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    tuck in [​IMG] ...it's nice to find another sprout lover [​IMG]

14. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Nice with toasted pine nuts sprinkled on top ... [​IMG]

15. GREENWIZARD