December 2006 Photo Competition ......... Discussion thread

Discussion in 'Photo Competitions' started by Webmaster, Dec 3, 2006.

1. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Platty, the statue pic is great - I love the colour and the way they look almost 3-D against the background [​IMG]

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Platty [​IMG]
    Depends if you want motion or not. It can be very effective if you get well lit chair-o- planes or skaters moving in swirling colours. You must turn off your flash. Does your camera have an automatic night time setting? You will need a tripod for certain whether you want to freeze the action or capture movement. I would experiment with the white balance as daylight, fluoresent etc wil give different coloured results and then you can decide which you like best. Aperture priority will not give you the control you need. You need to control the time if you want to freeze the motion or capture a sense of movement. Let the camera sort out the aperture unless depth of field is critical You can then try variations via Photoshop afterwards. Hope that helps.

I expect someone will moan that this post should be somewhere else, but I am simply trying to answer your question. Perhaps we need a Camera Corner of GC :confused:

3. Platanoides

Platanoides Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you HB I appreciate your help. I will experiment. I am sure our friends will forgive us this one wee bit of technicality --- It is the season of goodwill after all !!!!

Platty

4. Platanoides

Platanoides Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Marge they certainly grabbed my attention. They are striking and have a very rough texture, like sacking, which adds to their simplicity. Donated to the City by the 'Kwik Fit' millionaire Tom Farmer.

5. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Platanoides..I love the statues ..They are really good..Their are some brilliant pictures entered allready..well done everyone.. [​IMG]

6. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Nice photos Mowgley but you tell us that you took them in March. If you look at the competition rules you will see that entries have to be taken during this December. You could delete them and re-submit. Good luck.

7. Platanoides

Platanoides Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    GW your 'Snow Queen' is superb. Beautifully composed and focused and just the right amount of 'glitteriness' (Is that a word?) to give the essential effect.

8. GREENWIZARD

GREENWIZARD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    should be a word [​IMG]

thanks P
    it's part of the christmas display at my local garden centre

9. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    GlenW - love the deer!! BTW, is the jingle bells pic Enkianthus?

10. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dendrobium,
    thank you.
    The deer photo was taken about 4 miles from my house,probably about 6 miles from the centre of sheffield.
    The jingle bells is a Arbutus unedo (strawberry tree). I only planted it this year and didn't realise it flowered so early.

11. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    It's lovely, Glen! I've seen the tree, but not in flower. Have you seen the one I was talking about?
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=enkianthus&btnG=Search+Images
    I think they're lovely.
    Looking further, though, I see they don't flower at this time of year - must think about getting an arbutus, with flowers like that in late autumn, even if this winter is a bit atypical.

12. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    the enkianthus are indeed lovely and I can see the similarity, I might try and find one at my local nursery.
    I must tell you that the arbutus flowers are small,less than 1cm each I guess, but it is nice to find something to look at during the winter. It has strawberry like fruits that are meant to be edible but not very tasty. Sheffield botanical garden has a fairly mature specimen which look brilliant earlier in the year, laden with bright red fruit.
    Also, according to my RHS book anyway, they are only hardy down to -5c. I 've planted mine close-ish to the house and next to a fence to try to give it a little more protection.

13. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    [​IMG] the jingle bells pic glenw

14. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    would just like to say everyones pics are superb, well done and good luck, I am not going to be here for the voting as i am going to goa for 2 weeks 30th.

15. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Loving your Sprouts Greenwizard [​IMG] [​IMG]