deterants for cats help

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by zara, Apr 25, 2006.

1. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Banana Man: In my late father's garden, cats were a real problem. Last year I put loads of short bamboo sticks as markers to the plants and bulbs that I planted in a long border.(and some extra to deter cats)

In one particular area in this border, I looked out of the window to find next doors cat crapping right where the sticks had been, in broad daylight! (next door is not an irresponsible owner!)

There is still a gap there now, where the plants should have been! ;)

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Greentoes - We tried the bottles but they didn't seem to have much effect.
    We've been using the CDs for a few years now and use fishing line to string them as it's lighter than string and allows the CDs to bob about more. We allow some to just dangle and swing around but others we string horizontally - the breeze then winds them up on the line and when it drops they unwind.

3. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    The gardeners here stretch nylon ribbons that vibrate in the breeze and make a humming sound to keep 'em off......I just encourage the cats to come close and conceal a jug of water until the last possible moment [​IMG]

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Nice one Nick!

Got me thinking. Maybe I should get a cat suit and leap out from behind cover and scare the living daylights out of them :D :D

5. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    :D East Tay Valley News Headlines..."Beer swigging Giant cat with CD collection goes beserk in garden..." :D :D

6. jay

jay Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ever thought about getting a dog?! :D

7. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I've been using a spray which contains citronella on the veg patch. The only trouble is I don't like the smell either! Bark and rose pruningshave been effective in other areas.
    My cats are the offenders so I shouldn't complain. I think they are useful in country areas, they keep down rats and mice. I don't think my cats would like to be kept in at night, that's when they hunt.

8. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Orange peel is said to be good never tried it myself as we have 3 dogs which tends to put the cats off a bit, my friend has awfull trouble with cats and she uses orange peel and pyracantha trimmings...does the trick for her.
    If you are clearing up cat excrement do make sure that you have gloves on as they do carry toxacara a genus of nematode worms in their intestines..this can inturn infest humans causing above other things eye probs, children are particularly vunerable to this and those of you that have young children and sandpits should take precautions to cover the sand when not in use as this is a favorite toilet site with cats. :rolleyes:

9. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I have 3 dogs too, doesn't put my cats off at all! [​IMG]
    Both dogs and cats get regularly wormed for their health as well as mine. I hope most people do the same.

10. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You would be suprised how many people do not worm their animals..I work as a veterinary nurse and despite trying to educate owners unfortunatly there are still quite alot of people who refuse to worm their animals, they dont seem to realise that its a risk, they buy a puppy/kitten worm it for the first 9 months and then just don't bother, its just the same with vaccinations..do it for the first 3 years if your lucky and then just stop. :(