Did you buy anything plastic today?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Quercus, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    The last big company I worked for was doing away with all desk bins, to be replaced by recycling points in each office for all the usual stuff. They were also banning any food from being eaten at desks (a two fold result - kept office cleaner and got staff away from the dreadful British habit of cramming lunch at your desk).

The "Big Four" supermarkets won't start charging for plastic bags until the others do it as well. Only M&S have had the balls to try it in their food halls. Mind you, the amount of ready meals they do, all handily wrapped in oodles of packaging probably negates this :(

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I agree with Pete. There is a problem with plastic, but in this case its not so much the plastic that's the problem but the people. I went to a very strick first school, where it was absolutely taboo to drop any litter at all - sweet papers or any thing else. You were heavily disciplined if you did - and as a result nobody ever did. That discipline has stayed with me all my life, and I am horrified at other people's disgusting habits.

But we are all to blame. We all encourage or allow the removal of discipline from children, and then can't understand why they grow up into indisciplined adults. Dropping litter isn't the only result.