Digital Voice - Telephone Switchover

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by shiney, Nov 22, 2023.

1. Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    We have had VM for 2 years now (we were originally customers of "Fred Flintstones'" company, NTL!) The engineer who set up the new modem for us (after 4 years with TalkTalk) surprised me by plugging the phone line directly into the hub without saying anything other than "that's the way it's done now!"

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    I'm not sure what is the difference between a hub and a modem, I've just got one "thing" called a hub and the phone is nowhere near it or plugged into it, it just does the Wi Fi.

ATM, the phone is plugged into a standard phone socket in the kitchen and I have an extension running from that upstairs.

3. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,291
    For Router read Hub, the basically same thing.

If you have had your VM router installed some years ago, it will probably be the SuperHub 1 or 2 lie we had.
    As far as we remember they do not support the modern higher broadband speeds or a phone connection so you will need to replace it with what VM call their newer Hub 3 /4 /5 , easy enough, just plug in the power brick and cables, along with changing the password from their default settings for security.

For your landline, your "master socket" becomes the Hub, so you will need to run an extension lead to connect in your existing internal phone wires, once you disconnect from the old phone systems master socket.

What you must do, is leave your new Hub powered on all the time, so the phone line remains active.

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,982
      This is what I was thinking, to get from the hub to the kitchen, where the phone is now, wouldn't be just an easy bit of wiring. The hub was originally put in for Virgin TV but its in a room at the front of the house which I rarely use these days.

It appears to have phone sockets.

Attached Files:

• john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +8,898
      Not sure if this helps. BT changed me over to fibre, I have 2 wireless phones, 1 is plugged into the main BT Hub the other is just plugged into a power socket. Both work fine.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,291
        Looks like its a a modernish hub, if you look under its base you should see a label with its model type. VM should automatically be telling you if they need to send you a new free hub for the digital phone switch over.

If the hub is in an unused room assume you use the wifi for your laptop, so using wifi phones might be easier ? though no experience of digital handsets as just use the moby these days.
        Sure others can advise you there ..

Edit, as you can get mobile Sims for £5 or less a month that include all your standard calls and texts etc, do you really need a 'landline ' as well ?
        We tested out our digital phone when installed, but now the phone is physically disconnected, though available if really needed, why pay VM phone call charges ?

• Like Like x 1
          Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +91,982
          You made me go and check :biggrin:
          I was thinking the upstairs phone was still using the extension socket up there but of course it isn't.:roflol:

So I would probably have to move the base station next to the hub to plug it in and then move the upstairs one downstairs.
          The basic phone which I bought for use during power cuts would be obsolete.

• Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +3,061
          All very well until the provider goes down, as it did for 2 hours this morning for us.
          Losing the land line for us was a biggy as we have not got Mobiles phones at all. Waiting for our middle daughter to bring us one of her old mobiles and for youngest to bring us a Voip gadget. So at the moment, no internet no phone.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +91,982
            None of this is for users benefit, most people are quite happy with their landlines as it is,it's obviously cheaper and easier for them to work via a dodgy Internet.
            It's just another example of technology trying to run before it's properly learnt to walk.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +8,898
              My Internet is a lot faster since BT changed the cables, plus they gave me a free booster, so I can use Alexa in the garden.

• Informative Informative x 2
              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,291
                Moved to Lebara monthly Sim last year, 30 day rolling contact. Vodafone network, no problems so far.

Exclusive Monthly Plan £4.90

• Informative Informative x 1