Dilemma...of sorts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Sussexgardener, Mar 18, 2009.

1. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    So now I'm interested. If it happens tomorrow would you do the same?

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    No, the next time I might stop and ask her.

I now have images of me having to hurry along side her, as she was "making progress", albeit with some effort!

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    :-)

Perhaps next time she will offer you some assistance if that is the case Aaron.

4. Bazherts

Bazherts Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    it doenst hurt to ask though, most people are kind enough to say no if they dont need it.

From my experience they generally like a bit of gentle help.

Baz

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I do it all the time young or old if they are struggling I help,I do agree the right approach is important.

6. L plate gardener

L plate gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    hmmm sorry to bump this but I personally , as sad as it is in this day and age would have walked past.

I previously in a supermarket asked a lady if i could help her reach something as she was half hanging out the chair to reach it!! she snapped at me and shouted in a rather loud voice that just because she was in a wheel chair she wasnt helpless!

she then passed me again near the checkouts and shouted again at me!! I was mortified as everyone looked at me!!

all i said was "do you need a hand with that?"

ok everyone will respond different!! but once bitten twice shy!!

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,795
    I don't think you should be concerned about not having helped as it made you think about the situation and what to do in the future. :gnthb:

I'm like woo, stuck in a time warp with regard to these things :hehe:. I'm not even sure that the wording matters a great deal if the tone of voice is right.

The other day I helped someone in exactly the same situation and they were very grateful. I have been turned down in the past but rarely in an unpleasant way. Even if they are unpleasant it doesn't bother me because I know that I did the right thing.

I still open doors for people (usually getting a shocked look before they come out with a smile or a 'thank you'), give up my seat on public transport etc. Although I got a bit of a shock when I was on holiday the other month in Asia and everyone was giving up their seats for me :rotfl:. Mrs shiney just laughed and said that people out there are very polite and give up their seats for oldies :old: