1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY Wormery

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lowrider69, Jan 8, 2019.

1. lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
    Ratings:
    +174
    Hi guys can I get any advice on building a DIY Wormery has anyone got any photos of what you have built?
    I'm disabled with fibromyalgia so I'm only on a low income so everything I do has to be on a small budget.

I don't really know much about this but it does sound really interesting hobby to do.

any info would be helpful like care of them as in where to keep them in winter/summer and can they survive a cold winter? or hot summer, can they be kept in one place or does it have to be movable

oh the best worms to buy for the UK and how many to start off with?

thanks for any help :)

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi @lowrider69 I would get Tiger worms as they are the best.! Tiger Worms for Wormery

I have 2 dalek composters as well as a heap and a tumbler.. I got some tiger worms for my daleks and they are fab and do a wonderful job.. In winter they stay in the heart of the heap when it is cold and when hot and dry like last summer they went underground under the composters but re appeared when it cooled down... They do a fantastic job..! Hope that helps.. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
      Ratings:
      +174
      so I need £10 worth of worms to start with, what size dalek composter do you use? cant seem to find them on ebay.
      how is it all set up to start it off??

• Marley Farley

Ratings:
      +14,125
      Not exactly sure of the size I have 2 of these.. I probably did know but can’t remember..
      upload_2019-1-8_12-35-44.jpeg
      They were described as large composters when I got them... I turn the compost periodically too, but the worms are fab and doing a great job as well as multiplying very well... ;) on warm days when you open it there are hundreds of them on top and all through the compost.!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
        Ratings:
        +174
        do they have a bottom to them? and I don't see a tap? are they not meant to have taps?
        so do you just put a bag of soil in for them to live in them just keep adding food stuffs?

sorry for all the questions this is all really new to me lol

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,731
          What's shown in the photo is a composter, rather than a dedicated wormery. Really useful for the composting of garden and some domestic waste, and I guess importing some tiger worms (aka brandling worms) speeds the process up! Brandlings will also arrive naturally, lots in both my composters now.

Lots of local councils offer and deliver reduced price composters, to encourage people to recycle. Both mine came that way. Input your postcode to see if your council does the same: Compost Bins - Getcomposting | Get your Council Compost Bin

Wormeries are a bit different - take a wider range of domestic waste and can provide liquid feed via a tap as you mention. You can buy them but they do seem more expensive than composters: https://www.wormcity.co.uk/

But you can evidently make your own much more cheaply. I'll be interested to see if anyone has done this, as it's something I've considered doing too!

Meanwhile these instructions seem sensible: How to make your own wormery

And a video:

Hope that helps, and that others can provide some practical experience for you!

• Like Like x 2
          • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
            Ratings:
            +174
            oh right, that looks good will give that a go I think, Thanks for that :)

• Marley Farley

Ratings:
            +14,125
            Sorry @lowrider69 I have totally confused the issue here... :thud: What I should have said is my composters act like wormeries as they do not have bottoms hence worms going underground in the very hot or very cold weather..( No I don’t have the liquor as such but I collect that from my compost tumbler..) The ground under the composters is packed with goodnessthough..

I turn them and move them around my garden but I have tiger worms in them and have had for years as I always keep plenty back for when I reload the bins.. They break it down so quickly it is lovely compost to dig in too.. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
            • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
              Ratings:
              +174
              glad I never started my wormery its snowing here now but will start one when it starts worming up a bit :)

• Funny Funny x 2