Do I need to thin my Little Leo sunflowers out?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Zesty Mordant, May 11, 2012.

1. Zesty Mordant

Zesty Mordant Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Well I came out today and found that the pot in the middle at the back (ie the one with the CD dangling right over it) has had both plants munched... so much for the CD idea. I've got some netting, I guess I'll put that on, as well as suspend on the bricks. Cheers.

Edit: I also saw a snail inside this pot yesterday morning...

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi

Why dont you just put one slug pellet in each pot , plus now you have found the evidence, from your photo I would pull out that weed in the pot at the back of them that is setting seed

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
    • Zesty Mordant

Zesty Mordant Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      Thanks for the advice. To be honest I don't know what's in that back pot - it's something my missus acquired from somebody who was moving. Are you referring to the big thing with the little yellow bits on? And what do you mean by "setting seed"?

I have a tub of slug pellets in my allotment, I'll get a few later on :)

Edit: I also bought a roll of slug tape from eBay, we'll see how I get on with that.

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,352
      Hi Zesty yes get the slug pellets out just one in each pot I think you may be shocked how many slugs snails in the area, sorry I should of explained better the yellow flowered plant in the pot WEED forgoten the name (big thing with little yellow flower) the flower is starting to make seeds in the old flower heads , if that makes sense ?? so take out before they infest the pots and the rest of your garden as when you come to plant them out you will be planting weed seeds as well.

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
      • Zesty Mordant

Zesty Mordant Gardener

Ratings:
        +4
        Thanks for the explanation, I've just pulled the weed out and looking at the pots properly it was definitely out of place, the stuff that should be in it looks like some sort of hardy perrenial.

Given the amount of slugs that enter my kitchen in the night no amount of slugs and snails in the area can shock me!

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +53,889
        Zesty, I've just been looking at the advertisements that Greenhouseseller has in the 'Sponsors' forum. If you have a look they are selling copper tape on a reel that might be of help. :)

• Zesty Mordant

Zesty Mordant Gardener

Ratings:
        +4
        Thanks for the tip but I already bought a metre of 30mm wide tape for £1.24 off an eBay seller. We'll see how I get on.

Incidentally what's left of my sunflowers are intact this morning, so please accept this over the top smiley as thanks:

:ThankYou:

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,889
          Thanks Zesty, I'm glad I could help. :)