Dog Fouling

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Captain Jon, Sep 15, 2008.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,087
    I think your chances of getting run over by a road vehicle are probably greater.:)

2. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Actually what cats may spread is toxoplasmosis. I have no idea if it is the same thing ( I never had dogs, so I never did any research on that).

I did a fair bit of research on toxoplasmosis bfore deciding wether or not to compost my cats litter (so you see, there IS a connexion to gardening), and came to the conclusion that it was ok FOR ME to compost it.For cats who are costantly out and about and hunting and eating their prey,getting toxoplasmosis soon or late is almost a sure thing. The thing may or may not be killed during the composting process, depending on the temperature reached by your compost. Toxoplasmosis is really very dangerous to pregnant woment (or better, to the unborn baby thay carry), but I am not, and will never be, pregnant, so that is not going to be a problem. For healthy people and cats who have no immune system deficiency there are no big risks involved. Also the stuff is only transmitted through ingestion, so basic hygien (wash your hands, and your veggies) is a already a guarantee. I have been composting my cats stuff for a long while now, and no problems.

Off topic perhaps, but since cats were brought up, I thought I'd share this.

3. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I thort one wasnt supposed to compost anything a carnivore passes through it :(

4. Captain Jon

Captain Jon Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Your going to love the new move to spread treated human faeces on farmland then arnt you!

5. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh but u sed TREATED :)
    Dont bear thinking about if we all have to go DIY :(

6. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Good post :thumb:

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,994
    Oh Ivory, thats a good point. We don't have cats anymore but if I do find any poo I have chucked it on the compost heap. Its really not a good idea thinking about it.

8. Captain Jon

Captain Jon Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry but I do not agree that is a good post. We all know that people do not always wash their hands properly, that's what can cause and spread food poisoning and MRSA for instance, even medical professionals have been accused of not washing their hands properly.

What we are talking about here is something that effects young children and we all know that children are not the greatest role models when it comes to washing their own hands.

This is very nasty infection, OK it only effects a few but that shouldnâ??t be licence for people to make irresponsible unqualified statements.

If you donâ??t read the initial post at least read this paragraph

Where are toxocara eggs most likely to be found?
    Many infected soil samples are found in the vicinity of childrenâ??s play areas, even though dogs are often banned from these areas. Other samples are found on streets. In the UK, about half of the most serious cases of Toxocariasis, such as blindness, occur in families who have never owned a dog or a cat.

9. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    In respect of cats, which is what the post was refering to, it IS in my opinion a good post :thumb:

If you donâ??t read the initial post at least read mine :p

Have you been affected at all by Toxocara ?:) I only ask as most people know dog mess is at the very least annoying and hardly needs such abundant clarification to that fact.

10. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    so does anyone actually know why even though cats carry, therefore must spread toxoplasmosis, very few cases are attributable to cats??.

11. Captain Jon

Captain Jon Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I did read yours and Ivory's, including the other half you didnt copy and paste.

No but I have been seriously affected by ignorance, even mine sometimes!

12. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Good Lad :thumb:

Still doesn't make sense though, disagreeing with something and then making clarification by reference to a completely different species of animal :lollol:

13. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Not quite right there, Cap'n - the substance being used is the slurry from the sewage plants which is not ONLY human waste and has been rendered harmless by the sewage treatment. And it's been done for a year or two now - we can smell it when it's spread! :help:

14. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    toxocara - a worm infestation in dogs
    Symptoms in humans
    • Visceral (gut):Abdominal pain, decreased appetite, fever, wheezing, cough,urticaria, seizures, joint pain/swelling, fidgeting.
    • Ocular (eye): Uni-ocular decreased visual acuity, strabismus, seeing floaters or 'bubbles', unilateral blindness.
    • Occult (stools): Presents similarly to visceral form but less severe/specific symptoms.

toxoplasmosis - protozoan infection in cats

It is unusual for otherwise healthy people to be ill when infection occurs. The most common symptoms are a viral, glandular fever-like illness or swollen glands in the neck.

What are the Risks to the Baby?
    In only about 30-40% of women who catch toxoplasmosis during pregnancy, does the infection pass to the unborn baby. The actual risk appears to be related to the gestation at which it is acquired. It is greatest in the third trimester at 70%, whereas in early pregnancyonly 15% of infants will become infected.

Toxoplasmosis infection may lead to miscarriages stillbirth or survival with growth problems, blindness, water on the brain (hydrocephalus), brain damage, epilepsy, or deafness. This often develops after birth, so even normally born infants of women with known infection should be kept under observation for some time.

15. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2

Captain Jon, I quote my own post. I want you to take a CLOSE look to the part in capitals. It was like that ALSO in the original post. I specify that it is ok, for me. I don't feed children off my veggie patch, and I wash my hands, If not, I am taking responsibility for my own mistakes and paying medical care off my own private medical insurance.