DOG FOULING

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by potsy1, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I agree with Rosietu, cats are the worst. They bury their deposits all ready for you to find next time you plant something....... :mad:
    I have 3 dogs and 2 cats, so can't try the sonic repellant, but would like to know if it's working.
    Thompson and Morgan CATalogue [ :D ] is advertising Coleus canina, a variety which they reckon cats don't like- has anyone tried it, or other plants?

2. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    We had two cats a few years ago and we took the rough with the smooth, smooth being company, little naughty habits like sneaking upstairs onto favourite bed. Rough, sitting in favourite part of the garden in the evening with a mug of tea, or stronger, with the lovely smell of fragrant plants but spoiled a little by a well hidden recent cat visit. Sadly both now gone.

3. Top Growth

Top Growth Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    In my experience it is fatal to dig any new patches of dirt. Cats just love it and think that they are in kitty heaven. You will invariably find scratched up heaps and upon further investigation (if you dare!) will find their mess. Cats seem to be nomadic and independent. Dogs on the other hand are usually at the whim of their owners. So if you are besieged by dog mess, it is better to try and tackle the owner. In my experience they are hugely disturbed when confronted on the issue and don't come back again. Feral dogs (those blighters who roam the neighbourhood because their owners don't take them for walks) are difficult to handle...put up a fence in the last resort.

4. Top Growth

Top Growth Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    As an afterthought to my last post...we have found that ground cover planting, rockery plants and herbs, tend to discourage cats because they enjoy covering up their indiscretions, ground cover is usually hard work and they go elsewhere.

5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    You sound one determined critter, Jaycee!

Welcome to GC, you should fit right in!

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Thomson & Morgan are marketing Coleus canina variegated as a cat deterent. The blurb looks good. Iâ��ve not tried it but may give it a go. Not cheap at �£7.99 for 5 plants (plant 3 feet apart) but can be propagated from cuttings.
    In the meantime I�ll keep the pump-up water pistol handy and see if I can�t find a semi-domesticated Eagle Owl for sale on Ebay.

7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :D Like the waterpistol idea :D :D :D

8. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    My 80 year old Dad asked to borrow one of the boy's water pistols last year (you know, super-soaker type thing - shoots up to 40 foot...). I did wonder what he wanted with it - then he told me about a cat that had just started to visit!! Well, I just had to giggle at the visions of my Dad lying in wait.... and, boy, did he have fun!!!! :D :D :D and it worked!!

9. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    It also works for dogs, and it is very satisfying!
    I have been contemplating some Coleus canina too, to try and keep my two cats from diggingup newly planted things.