Dog Poo Wormery

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by elliegreenwellie, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I just scoop the girl's mess up from the garden with a little pink towel and pop it into the green bin....seeing how our council has changed its mind on what we can now put in our green bins I though they may as well have my little darlings dropping as lets face it the council do a awful lot of talking cr*p so I believe in giving them some back! :D Hel.xx

2. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, offence taken!

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    What is the matter with people, we come up against all kinds of nasties everday, dog **** is unpleasant but no worse than cat ****, fox ****, bird ****, or my own ****.
    Many years ago it was common to bury human **** in the garden in rural areas.
    But people survived.
    Normally maggots eat dog ****, hence the flies, then the crows come along and dig the maggots out.
    Its nature, nothing wrong with that.
    Much more eco friendly than plastic bags.

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    thanks, offence taken!

???? so your using one then?

5. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I cant see any sensible reason to risk ones health, either your spreading toxacara and tapeworm or your spreading antibiotics and similar nasties. The tapeworm and toxacara parasites would not be killed by worms.

Pete, the rural latrines were usually at the very base of the garden for a reason, the life expectancy was also lower.

6. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, as I said so earlier in the thread,i'm just getting one set up now.

7. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Not being one to willingly take unnecessary risks when it come to health matters, I have done a fair amount of research online about these wormeries and nowhere can I find anything saying that there is any potential health risk from compost VIA A WORMERY.Most site say its best not to use the compost of liquid around edible plants.
    I agree, its usually advisable not to add dog waste to a compost heap(there are plenty of websites incidentally that say even this is fine in small amounts).

8. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm neutral but I should just point out that once the faeces is composted it is no longer faeces as such and any parasites that lived on it then die and presumably then get composted themselves. I agree with Glen. I wouldn't risk it round foodstuffs (although Germany has been using composted human excrement for years and that can contain nasties as well) but that is probably my own bias rather than any half baked scientific theories.

9. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I think Glen you'll probably catch more nasties sitting on a crowded bus, than by using your compost.
    [​IMG]
    Anyone that swims in the sea is surrounded by treated human waste, surely by composting it you "Treating" it.

10. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Yes life expectancy was lower in those days but not for that reason, life expectancy was lower in general, town or country.
    I think putting it a the end of the garden was more of an aroma avoidence thing. [​IMG]

11. high kype

high kype Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    well Glen i wont won't my grandkid's near the stuff

12. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Have you thought about how they fertilise the soil in some of the countries that our food comes from? :eek: During my travels I've seen sights I would rather not have seen [​IMG]

13. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    This is an interesting topic - and the concept of using dog faeces is certainly news to me.

I'm afraid I would be on the cautious side with this - there are definitely parasites and bacteria in dog faeces which have zoonotic potential - ie: can carry diseases which can affect humans too. I have a feeling that toxocara canis (the common dog roundworm) can survive for a long time in a soil environment, although I don't think that tapeworm segments are quite as long lived in the soil. Dogs can also shed salmonella and campylobacter in their faeces which are important pathogens in human gut problems.

My gut feeling is that this idea may be a flash in the pan - if you'll excuse the toilet analogy! Dogs at least are omnivores rather than true carnivores, so there would be a little nutrient value in it, but I would imagine that the benefit would probably be outweighed by potential risks. I have looked on various websites about wormeries and they all seem to be generally advising against the addition of dog or cat faeces.

If this idea is proven to be workable as far as garden benefit is concerned, I would still be advocating using gloves on all handling of the composted material, and I would probably not let children handle the soil it is mulched in to - and would go with the general consensus of keeping it well away from fruit and veg.

I am a great advocate of re-cycling but wonder if this one has been thoroughly thought out, and if it has, I would be very interested in reading the literature that has been provided and to know that the final product has gone through rigorous testing not to be a human health hazard.

No offence intended to anyone !

14. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Im afraid I still cant see the need for sutch a risky contraption.

Farr better to put it down the drain, a small length of chain riveted to the top of a manhole cover and some grease around the frame makes it ever so easy and no landfill of plastic.

15. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    sensible discussion again!!

We only have a small dog, she doesn't produce that much waste. We don't have a usable manhole cover, so that option isn't available to us. The only other options we could see were;-
    * flush it down the loo, a waste of water
    * into landfill via waste bin, not very environmentally friendly
    * a sunken dog waste loo available from pet shops but most reviews say they don't work
    * a wormery.

we decided that this was the way we would try, it was a cheap investment, costing only a few quid and if it doesn't work we will have to reconsider our options.

As I said earlier, our dog is only small. I can't envisage vaste amounts of compost coming from the wormery. We have 3 composters up and running anyway so really don't need any more!! I was just going to see how the worms cope and then decide what to do with anything they produce!!

I am more than happy to let you know how we go on with it regarding amounts of compost produced,smells etc but not if i'm going to be told I'm foolhardy and need sectioning.