Dog Poo Wormery

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by elliegreenwellie, Apr 18, 2008.

1. johnbinkley

johnbinkley Gardener

Retired chem lecturer
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have been using a wormery for years and have never incorporated dog, cat nor human faeces into it. Excellent stuff comes out of it!
    John

2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Please do Glen! Nobody is saying you are being foolish - it is just that the idea goes against the grain of what we have been previously told. I would be very interested to know what happens in your wormery, but I stand by what I said re: possible health hazard. Of course, if you worm your dog regularly, then the parasitic component would not be such a concern and a sub clinical salmonella or campylobacter shedder would be unusual if the dog is otherwise fit and healthy.

I need convincing on this so would be delighted to hear your unbiased thoughts on how successful, (or not), your system proves to be. That is how we learn and progress if things are proved to work , or learn that an idea is not what we had anticipated and move on again in a different direction.

You can be our dog poo guinea pig! [​IMG]

Kath

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,455
    Kath, are you suggesting guinea pig poo as well [​IMG] :D

4. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Herbivore poo is very good for the garden!

Unfortunately with the poo output volume, together with the average life expectancy of the guinea pig, we are talking 2000 guinea pigs and 20 years of poo before you could give a decent top dressing to your roses !!

[​IMG]

(As you can tell, poo is an obsessive science amongst us vets!!! :D [​IMG] )

5. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,455
    Your guinea pig doesn't look too happy with the suggestion [​IMG]

6. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I use my Guneia Pig poo and wee,which goes into my compost bins/bags and it is mixed with sawdust,straw,hay grass clippings and all manner of vegetable waste :cool: Guneia pigs can poo and wee for England I can tell you and it is amazing just how much stuff they produce in a week.They are eating machines and brilliant as lawn clippers :D

If we all stopped and thought about it many animals like cows,horses,pigs, humans, pigeons, etc plants are fed with Suppliments, Antibiotics, Conditioners and Hormones so that all passes through the body and out through their bums so we are all probably eating far too much of the stuff that could do us harm as it is. :eek:

I personally have never put dog or cat poo on the compost heap and after the initial worms that my cats and dog had when we first rescued them and had them wormed on a regular bases we never ever had another problem with them.

If Glen wants to experiment with a dog poo wormery then that is ok with me.If it works for him and gives him nice healthy plants then that is fine. I don't think anyone needs to talk about sectioning him though,that is far too harsh a statement and he should be given an apology.

Perhaps we should all stop to think about peoples feelings before opening our mouths and typing such statments [​IMG]

7. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,455
  8. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    He probably doesn't appreciate being shaken over my pot plants like a fertilizer pellet dispenser! You get far more if you give it a quick squeeze at the same time!

NOTE: This conversation is entirely tongue in cheek and Cookie Monster does not advocate use of Guinea Pigs in this way. (Although Hamster's you can get away with...!)

No NO NO NO NO! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Buy Baby Bio!

9. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be your guinea pig then, but I don't look as cute as the one in your photo!!! :D

10. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone else is thinking about having a go with one of these, its worth mentioning that the medication given to worm your dog will also kill the worms in the wormery(so i'm told). Therefore don't put the dog waste in for a few days after worming.

Thanks Cookie,Pete,Shiney,Kandy etc for the constructive discussion, I'm sure pro gard didn't mean to offend and was just typing his thoughts.

11. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Aren't human beings wonderful.

Our inbred prejudices have always over-ruled our desire to experiment, particularly in Britain. I remember when Christiaan Barnard did the first heart transplant and everyone started yelling that it was unnatural, impossible and wouldn't last. Of course I was young at the time but I was a student in 1967 and was absolutely fascinated Never thought that a few years later I would assist at an op. (Never was good enough to be the number one at that.) And, although it is not exactly run of the mill it is now done regularly and people live years longer after one than in the early days.

On a more mundane note I remember the look of horror on my mother's face when I told her I was going to a sushi restaurant She told me to take some mustard with me in case I got poisoned and had to take an emetic. Most British people thought that anyone who would eat 'raw' fish must need sectioning. Strange how people are quick to condemn anything that they don't fully understand. :D

12. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    "I'm sure pro gard didn't mean to offend and was just typing his thoughts"

Your right, I didn't mean for you to take it quite so literally, Apologies.

13. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Don't quite agree with you here John.

I think it is healthy to question things, otherwise we become a nation of zombies who just accept everything we are told.

In this case there are KNOWN health risks associated with Toxocara Canis - as I'm sure you are aware, as well as the other mentioned pathogens dog faeces can contain. It is fair to expect a new idea like this to undergo trials to ensure a finished product is safe for use, surely?

I don't think a lack of understanding is the cause of any scepticism on this thread.

If my mum had not questioned the use of the new wonder drug for morning sickness she was prescribed, things may have turned out very different for my brother. The year 1960, the drug Thalidomide. She flushed them down the loo rather than risk any possible side effects. Hind sight is a marvellous thing for those with the luxury to quote it, she, however, acted on a healthy concern AGAINST the professional advice given to her.

I am born to a line of doubters who need to know something is safe.

I was not advocating shelving this idea - merely to test it to ensure that it was not a foolhardy concept. I think there is a difference.

14. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Spot on CM, my doubt is based like yours on scientific fact ie the danger of parasites that will not be broken down.

This is why I think its a stupid idea.

Oh yes and I certainly wouldnt eat sushi so I guess I must be trully predjudiced!

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Pro as cookie says there is problem is with the toxocara eggs found in dog,cat and fox poo which can stay alive in the ground for years you would need some pretty high composting temperatures to kill them but having said that they must be confident it can be achieved,in a survey done recently on dogs,cats and foxes it was found Toxocariasis was much more prevalent amongst adult foxes (14%) than adult dogs (3%). In contrast to cats, female dogs and foxes were less infected than males. The present study suggests that cats may constitute an underestimated risk of transmission of Toxocara spp. to humans and the progressive synatropization of red foxes may also increase the sources of environmental contamination with Toxocara eggs.The risk is greater from foxes and cats as we have no control over where they defficate.