dog reactivity

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by Gizmo, May 3, 2023.

1. Jay9408

Jay9408 Gardener

Ratings:
    +75
    I pretty much agree with you, like i said it was more the terminology and its connotations haha

I do think maybe your friends parents dog responded with fear as apposed to thinking oh your bigger and stronger so ill listen to you. But not having been there i cant really form a full opinion.

Also there are studies showing some dogs are as intelligent as 4 year olds in terms of the tasks they are able to learn.

The best way to train a dog in my opinion is with positive reinforcement only, as this builds the best bond and trust between dog and owner, i often see guys walking around my area with a dog behaving well boasting how they keep it in line, until it sees something it wants more than the owners attention so off the dog goes haha

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +93,232
    Dogs have a different kind of intelligence to us, as they get older they become mind readers for a start.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,769
      Yes and no. I certainly induced fear for a few moments after he bit me. I was drawing the line and making it abundantly clear that I don't accept that kind of behaviour. But after the shock factor wore off I made it equally clear that I was no threat as long as the boundaries are respected. Like I said, me and the dog became best buddies after that.