Dog Urine

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Brackenbeds, Jul 5, 2006.

1. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    brackenbeds wont be getting any dogs then, especially once he gets his grass sorted, my dog goes on paper and when i take her to my daughters her husband is funny about his lawn, shes not allowed on it for obvious reasons mentioned.
    Anyway brackenheads hope you get your grass sorted

2. Brackenbeds

Brackenbeds Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys. I dressed the patches last night,reseeded and gave the lawn a good watering.

The ground is very very dry as it gets the sun most of the day.

3. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Will be as good as new in no time. [​IMG]

4. Brackenbeds

Brackenbeds Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I also poured a full case of Stella Artois all over the lawn so that the grass comes up half cut.

:rolleyes:

5. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Good gag, but I thought it was being pi55ed that caused all the problems in the first place. :D

6. Brackenbeds

Brackenbeds Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    This topic is getting funnier the grass is definately getting a good watering its had all sorts thrown on it these past few days

8. macleaf

macleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    we had same problem and tried watering but no avail so we carefully cut out the patches put new soil in then used a grass patch up kit,we did however cover the seeds with a fine covering of sand,and it did the trick we also stood on the new grass to insure it was well rooted

9. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone tried this Dogrocks product (www.dogrocks.co.uk)?

My client has just banned my jolly little springer spaniel from his garden because of pee spots on his perfect stripey lawn, and the poor animal now lives as a house dog two days a week and is getting the hump.

I need a solution to pee spots quick!! Can anyone help? Can dogs be trained not to pee in particular places?

10. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I've just looked at the site- I think I might give it a try. I'm a bit puzzled as I thought the spots were caused by excess nitrogen, as in fertiliser burn.
    I'm told that guide dogs are trained to pee in a particular place so obviously it is possible. On the Dog Rocks site they recommend providing a special area for the dog to use, perhaps taking him[?] regularly to a particular place at home, say a gravel or sand patch, on his lead, waiting for a performance, and then lots of praise and treats would establish this habit at home. I find my dogs will deliberately go to the same place another has gone,so perhaps with one dog this would work once his smell is there.
    Low protein diets and lots of drinking also helps.

11. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Liz, I shall attempt the copious praise route, though I suspect he won't get much from my pesky client.

12. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If it`s a dog then you`ll have problems getting him to go in one place as he`ll naturally want to mark his territory.

As Liz said it`s the massive over fert that causes the damage, sometimes it`s assumed the acidic PH is responsible but if tested you`ll find its pretty close to neutral, so the addition of ketchup and other strange things to diet won`t help [​IMG]

You should be very careful changing a dogs diet, the chances are it won`t affect the nutrient value of the urine by much.