1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Donald Trump.

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by roders, Jan 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,956
    People don't like it when it's pointed at them :snorky: The Truth always hurts ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
      Ratings:
      +10,624
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,527
      There's, certainly, no doubt that the NHS could do with more funding. :blue thumb:

Having been around since its inception I seem to recall having heard that comment for half a century!

I think it's obvious that they will always need more funding as there are more people, we are living longer and therefore getting more ailments, medical research is improving considerably so there are more treatments available (and very expensive ones) so it's inevitable that the NHS will always be underfunded.

Having said that, it's a fantastic service and everyone has access to it (albeit less quickly than any of us would like). As usual, our news media always look on the dark side of things (it's their living to create discord and dissent as nobody would bother with good news) but it never turns out that bad. The usual Winter Crisis (there's been a winter crisis for as long as I can remember :doh:) was not as bad as the pessimists always tell us.

We will never have a health service as good as we could have because nobody is willing to pay more tax for it! We could also make a lot more efficiencies in the service but this becomes more difficult the bigger it gets. One of its biggest inefficiencies (including fiddles!) is its procurement of goods and medicines.

The NHS is the biggest employer in the country and the fifth biggest in the world :rolleyespink:. It does a fantastic job and any person living in this country has free access to health care :dbgrtmb:. Admittedly, there are now some charges such as prescriptions but 90% of them are prescribed free. Eyesight, hearing and teeth carry some cost but compared to almost anywhere it's just a nominal amount.

If you have an accident or an emergency you can just turn up at a hospital (yes, I know you may have to wait) and get treated without them even bringing up the question of cost. There are, of course, problems with people turning up for silly ailments or 'no shows' at the doctor's surgery and other abuses of the system.

A fantastic service, run inefficiently, abused by some and underfunded! I think our government, any government in power, needs to bite the bullet and start charging more tax for the service through NI but that the money should be ring-fenced for the NHS and not just put into the government coffers. :old:

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        Getting back to Tweety Pie, (aka Donald Trump :whistle:).My own personal opinion is that he should spend his time sorting the problems that face the USA, rather than shoving his nose into the problems that other countries have.

(This is the diplomatic version of what I really wanted to say!) :snorky:

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
          Ratings:
          +6,133
          :goodpost:@shiney couldn't agree more :thumbsup:
          shame I was trying to find a GREAT post smiley but had to make do with this one :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
            +8,083
            Maybe I am fortunate where I live but honestly cannot knock the NHS around these parts. Yes if you turn up at A and E with nothing worse than a splinter you will be made to wait but if you have a real emergency you'll be seen very quickly.
            I thankfully got somewhat experimental replacement hips 12 and 14 years ago and was asked to return to have them checked for research purposes and for my own benefit every year which I have done religiously...least I can do with having been so very lucky to get such wonderful replacement joints.
            The last time I got them checked I asked the nice nurse who I have sort of got to know over the years, if in her experience the NHS was in dire trouble as portrayed in the press yet again....@shiney:). She replied that the trouble mainly is people's expectations! She said her department was flooded out with people who were wanting replacement this that and the next thing when it really wasn't necessary, yet people were demanding surgery and "want it now" If they got refused they then would demand a 2nd opinion or "I'm off to see my lawyer, this is age discrimination/racist /gender inequality" basically anything they could come up with. She also told me that the majority of people demanding operations had caused themselves problems by being vastly overweight and were not pleased when told that it was too dangerous to give them the surgery until they lost weight.
            This is obviously only 1 person's view with regard to their Orthopedic department but she also told me her husband is an endocrinologist. He too is swamped with Diabetics the majority of which have caused the condition on themselves by their lifestyle choices but a very reluctant to take responsibility and expect the NHS to be a cure all.
            Couldn't agree more @Sandy Ground. I have never been so relieved to get home from a visit to a friend who lived in Texas. My god it used to be called the wild west (:scratch: suppose not as it's south east:)), it pretty well still is where I was. I was genuinely scared a few times and vowed I would never go back. My friend has also left America with her American husband and settled back here.
            Trump should concentrate on his own's country's many serious problems before sticking his noise where it is not wanted.

• Like Like x 2
              Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              Isn't that part of our culture though? :dunno:

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
                Ratings:
                +5,368
                @"M" quite correct. We dont need anyones help to do a bit of bashing. :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 2
                • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +21,839
                  NHS is brilliant, let down consistently by the minister responsible and terrible procurement practice.

Trump's a twonk that tweets these things as a distraction.

• Like Like x 2
                  • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                    +100,836
                    [​IMG]

:dunno::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 1
                    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +86,077
                      I think Trump missed the point, regarding the NHS needing more funding and not working.

But my point was, where did he get his info.
                      If you believe what the news people tell us the NHS is pretty much on its knees, every night for over a month they have been banging on about how hospitals cant cope, so it's not surprising people from other countries feel they can stick the knife in also, especially when they are trying to avoid go down a similar road and creating something similar in their country.

The NHS is more than just Hospitals, it involves the whole of health care in the UK.

And I'm not seeing my doctors surgery totally run off its feet, in fact they seem to be doing less and less, which could point out why A&E are so full.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                        +21,839
                        He doesn't use info he sees a headline and makes up the details to suit his crazy thinking tweets

• Funny Funny x 1
                        • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                          Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                          Ratings:
                          +10,624
                          ahh, I just put a link up there. If I can find it, sure he can find it. LOL.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +86,077
                          So who comes up with the headlines?:smile:

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +31,885
                          They are hoping that we do ;) but do not assume that there isn't an ulterior motive behind it.
                          Is it though? Or, is there purchase in making Jo Public *think* so?
                          So ask yourself: why would they do that? What do they hope to gain from that? What impact could that have on *demand* for services? Would it make people think twice before going to A&E, for example? Would people make a more concerted effort to research their symptoms to ensure they are only using the services only when absolutely convinced they are required? By that same token, is there any realism in suggesting that the NHS could be over burdened by too many people reading online symptom checkers which may result in an over load of demand on the service?
                          If Jo Public believes all the above to be true, would certain sectors look for alternatives? For example, would there be any increase in people taking out private health insurance? Or, if from the poorer, older, sectors of the community, would they delay in seeking medical advice/intervention, unless they deemed it absolutely imperative?
                          If access to GP appointments were simpler, faster, would that alleviate any burdens on hospitals, or, would it increase demand?
                          If there were more "Cottage Hospitals", as in previous generations, would that alleviate the burden on core NHS provisions? :dunno:
                          How about those from overseas who utilise the NHS and then neglect to pay for the services they received? Is the Admin., aspect of recouping those payments fit for purpose; or, are they so unfit for purpose that those debts go unpaid and the burden is thus transferred to the State e.g. the UK tax payer? :dunno:

Ring fencing any raise in tax for the purpose of funding a more stabilised NSH service sounds great! Well, in principle it does ;) Lest we forget that NI contributions were meant to have been ring-fenced for Pensions ... until that faded into obscurity and has led, in part, to a pensions deficit! Such could also be the case in some years down the line with any endorsement of a ring-fenced "tax" for the NHS!

Perhaps that is the whole point of the "spin" we hear every Winter: NHS at crisis point! Needs more funding!! No Government wants to be the one to hike up taxes; on the contrary, each Government is at pains to show they will *not*! It's a guaranteed vote loser :heehee:
                          The dilemma being :think2: how to increase revenue without losing votes if raising taxes is seen as a no-go area? :Think: Ring fence a raise in NI contributions, perhaps? :dunno: :whistle:

;) Make your own judgement.

The basic fact still remains: funding needs to be given a thorough overhaul and put under the microscope - that won't happen all the while the spin masters pull on the heart sleeves and frighten Jo Public with scare mongering. Stop trying to guilt trip the masses, most of which comprise of the lower band of income, into agreeing to a rise in NI as the saviour of the NHS! While there most definitely is a compelling argument for doing so, there are other routes to be given thorough scrutiny. There is no one quick fix solution; there is a multifaceted approach to a form of "solution" although that would take time, effort and serious scrutiny! Who has the time, commitment, resources and longevity to do so? ;)

• Like Like x 2
                          Thread Status:
                          Not open for further replies.