1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Drilling holes in pots

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by SteveHi, Dec 13, 2017.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,640
    But what about growing directly into a pot without drainage holes?

2. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    I've never done that, sorry Pete .

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • SteveHi

SteveHi Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      Many thanks again to you all - great tips!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Cliff1932

Cliff1932 Gardener

Ratings:
        +48
        I agree almost conpleatly with ziges, I would drill the hole about three quarters of an inch from the bottom on the side and put pea gravel in the bottom just up to the hole, this way you water until the water comes out of the hole then you can be shore that you have not over worterd and your plant will all ways have a small reserve of water, so no worries when on holaday.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +8,275
          If you stick masking tape to the bottom of the pot it will help to stop the drill slipping.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            @Cliff1932, We've done that cliff, added gravel in the bottom besides on top and with in a year the plants have out grown their pots, then been added to the garden:)

• jeni70

jeni70 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +1
            Hi everyone.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              Hi Jeni , hope you find Gardeners corner useful.
              It's best for new members to introduce themselves in this section . May be a good idea to introduce yourself there.:blue thumb:
              New Members Introduction

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                @jeni70, Hello mate nice to have you with us :) but as HarryS as stated introduce yourself in this section, as it will help members get to know you better.
                New Members Introduction

[​IMG] to you Gail :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Nick the Urban Gardener

Nick the Urban Gardener Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Hi SteveHi!

Unless you want to grow carnivorous plants that naturally grow in the swamp, drilling holes is paramount! In your containers are constantly wet, this will lead to an over-watering. Also make sure that your pots aren't too transparent as light kills the roots.

As long as you have an opaque container with holes at the bottom, you should be good.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

• Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                  Ratings:
                  +4,411
                  This has come up before, but it can still be a problem.

I drilled three holes in each of these thin walled ceramic pots so I could use them as hanging baskets suspended from long chains from the hall ceiling.

P1010103.JPG

I agree with previous advice, but would add, use a small masonry drill on a slow speed, you can always carefully enlarge the hole later, if necessary.

With mine, I started them off with a metal drill, to get through the glaze. Sometimes it's hard to get a masonry drill not to slip on highly glazed surfaces.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
                • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +31,885
                  Hi @SteveHi :)
                  You do not mention which *type* of houseplants you wish to grow in those "earthenware type containers". That could make quite a difference to relevant advice :)
                  You did state that you wanted to drill holes for the purpose of drainage. If you wish to drill holes in the earthenware containers, *any* holes will naturally mean water will drain out, so, you would need something to act as a saucer for them, to catch any over spill (unless you take the advice given much earlier insofar as you use the earthenware containers as "containers" for a pot with your houseplants in them).
                  If you wish to hang them, there is no need to drill any holes whatsoever, there are other ways of hanging them. However, as at no point was "hanging" them mentioned in your posts, I think the need for describing other methods would be superfluous at this point. If you should wish to know of other methods for hanging plants without drilling holes, do ask and I'm sure members will offer a number of different suggestions for you to chose from :)

Do let us know what you are planning on growing and how you are getting on. :)

• Like Like x 1
                  • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
                    +10,302
                    A tile drill bit is the best thing for drilling such pots imho,

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +16,246
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                        Ratings:
                        +6,097
                        This thread started last year but it attracted my attention.

It's the type of theme that opens up theory and practice in relation to plants, gardening etc. At first I likened the question/point to my own practice. As I grow lilies. I found pots/contaiers costly and not always to my liking, a local florist shop, sadly now closed, used to have black plastic bucket type containers for standing their flowers in. They offered them gratis. I did always contribute to their tea fund. I'd bore five one inch holes in the base, using the bit that acted like a compass. No problems.

Then the thread continues to matters of planting in holeless porcelain containers. Firstly to place a potted plant into a decorative container is great. This allows for the pot to be removed cleaned etc.

This perhaps where what works for one person, doesn't for another. It has to be noted that a plant growing in open ground benefits so much from the natural elements etc. Whereas a potted/container plant has for a better word less of a world to live in.

Most folk growing potted plants etc either don't feed the plant enough or correctly, others love their plant so much that they give that little extra each time. In the open ground all these features are dealt with naturally. In waste/spent feed etc has to be got rid of. Without drainage these residues stay put and in time will cause problems.

In the case of a container/pot with no drainage. Sorry but a layer of fine grit will not get rid of any waste. Using perlite. Perlite is a substance that will absorb water and that will filter back into the compost as the latter dries out. Due to it's size the granules will act as a medium for keeping the compost open thus allowing drainage.

Hope this helps.

• Friendly Friendly x 1