Earthquake in Bristol Channel today..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Marley Farley, Feb 20, 2014.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I wasn't having a dig at you Jack, just the government (any government - they're all the same). It makes perfect sense for you to take advantage of this offer. I would. But you can bet the cost to government (and therefore tax payer) is many times the cost that you'd have to pay if you did it yourself without this government initiative.

Its like a few years ago when they did the scrapage scheme for old cars. You get a few hundred quid off your old car, when buying a new one. The manufacturer of the new one wins. The dealer that sold it wins. The company that weighs your old car in wins. The government, and therefore the taxpayer, loses big time, because their self imposed rules mean they have to audit all the breakers and administer the new certificates that the breaker got, which declared that the scrapped cars were actually crushed and weighed in and none of the parts were sold as spares. Imagine the cost of checking up on all that:)

Its right for people to take advantage of these schemes. Sometimes its just wrong the way the governments organise them.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,454
    The problem with LED's or other low energy bulbs is the initial cost of the bulbs themselves (apart from whether they will fit your light fittings).

With the old fashioned bulbs, a 60W costs me 25p (local wholesaler) whereas an LED is £20. If, averaged over a year, I use my 60W for about four hours a day (1,460 hours per year) it will take approx. two and a half years to have cost me the £20 in electricity. Now that's not too bad if the LED's last the 20 years they say they do. Unfortunately, they consider 5,000 hours is five years use so, using their figures, it's equivalent to three and a half years.

When they brought out CFL's (long life, low power bulbs) they claimed a life that the bulbs never ever reached (at least they didn't in my house). So why should I believe the claims for LED's?

A large proportion of my light fittings can't, currently, take the LED's so changing the fittings would be exorbitant. I'm, also, not too sure about the colour of the light they emit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +51,883
      LED is still very much an emerging technology, and as such the results you get vary wildly; one thing I can say with certainty is that when you get a good LED bulb, the light from it is spot on and vastly better than that from CFL's - in fact, I recently installed one in my daughter's bedroom that looks exactly like a conventional bulb, gives off light that has the same colour tone as a conventional bulb, has a light output that is between a 60w and 100w bulb, and yet it uses only 7w; given that my daughter more often than not seems to think she is a mole, and shuts the curtains and puts the light on, and the fact that she seems to believe that light switches only work one way (on), then I reckon that I am making a considerable dent in my electric bill.

The bulb itself was just under £7 - here

• Informative Informative x 1
      • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
        +19,596
        I saw LED bulbs in Lidl the other day, for, if I remember right, £2.50. I'd have bought some but they were all edison screw fitting, whereas most standard light fittings, and certainly all the ones in my house, are bayonet fitting. One day I'll bring the house into the 21st century and go for one of the newer standards, which opens it up to a much wider range of the newer bulb types, but for now I'll have to stick with the CFLs that are in there now.

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,341
        It would not matter if you were Clueless1,
        This is a Forum, if there were no personal views or comments, then it would just be "click" the like button, become very boring very quickly with no discussions, no longer to exist

Even more so this is a GC Forum, where Staff, admin, mods and indeed the posters themselves act accordingly, more like a large family and friends, never holding back what they really wish to say You four-eyed furry faced git :-)

Jack McHammocklashing

• Like Like x 4
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          That made me snigger more than I should have done :biggrin:

:lunapic 130165696578242 5::lunapic 130165696578242 5::lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1