Edible flowers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jack by the hedge, May 31, 2007.

1. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Interesting topic but how do you 'do' them? Do you just pluck the petal, flowers etc & eat to see if you like them?

cheers

2. Synthhead

Synthhead Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Leonora - what do you stuff the courgette flowers with?

I seem to remember a recipe on a TV program that may have mentioned cream cheese?
    Is that a red herring - what else is used?
    (no, I didn't mean stuffing with a red herring. Oh dear - obviously getting my murds wuddled up :) )

cheers,
    Dave

3. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    In italy I had a favourite provider of rose cake and rose bisquits (both lovely), and I lived in Parma so violets were everywhere.

We eat zucchini flowers in various ways, either in risotto, or fried (either alone or with thinly sliced zucchini) very lovely.

Robinia flowers are also very sweet and lovely, they are picked, and prepared the same day, dipped in a mix of flour, sugar and water and fried. Very very nice.

4. Prastio

Prastio Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    You can also deep fry zucchini or marrow flowers in a light batter.

5. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Great link that:thumb:

6. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I once served my mum and dad with a salad containing Borage Flowers and Nasturtium leaves and flowers.

He ate everything except the flowers...thought I was trying to poison him.:D

I used the same tone of voice on him, that they had used on me when being told as a child to eat my vegetables cause their good for you.

I said "Dad, eat your flowers like a good boy"...heh,heh.