Egg shells

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by The Pea Of Sweetness, Apr 21, 2006.

1. wishaw

wishaw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Our chickens back home were fed their eggshells for calcium (to make new strong shells - if they did not get enough shells their newly laid eggs sometimes had very soft shells indeed!) - I doubt that the battery hens get the same diet (our farmyard chickens lived off wheatgrain, grass and eggshells, with the shells being the main delicacy as far as the chickens were concerned), but I guess if you can feed the shells to the chickens then they can't be bad for the soil either...

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Our bins are normal compost "Daleks". About three years ago our son came back from a fishing trip and chucked his leftover worms into one. Now we have two bins each with a thriving colony of worms.
    We've also got a normal compost heap but tiger/brandling worms don't seem to breed in it.

3. Happy Hippy

Happy Hippy Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone, it was a bin or a rabbit, like worms so will get some

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I always used to put the eggshells back into hens' food, too! I still put them onto the compost heap. I've got a little surplus coffee grinder, so give them a few turns in that to break them down.

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    That eminds me. Liz - a bit off-thread, I know, sorry! But did people know that you can get bags of used coffee grounds from Starbucks? Free. :D

6. DAG

DAG Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Dave W, I might give that a try this year. ;)

7. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Can egg shells that have been boiled be used for the compost also?
    I always thought not!!

8. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I can't think why not, boiling doesn't alter the chemical composition of the shell. I always bung them in, and nothing alarming has happened! In summer more dry and fibrous stuff is needed to balance the grass clippings, so every little helps. [​IMG]

9. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Stupid question re: compost, but I only have about half of my bin filled up so far.. would the worms migrate to the bottom and stay there, or would they all leg it and live happy, free-range lives in the garden?

10. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    [​IMG] I turn my compost heaps regularly then the worms are being redistributed & kept really busy. They will work their way back down to the moist dark compost at the bottom, but airating as they go... [​IMG] When I empty the bins I always hold a small amount back to act as a starter for the next lot. I have done it this way for years & found it to be very successful. I have only ever added worms the one time... In the beginning... :D :D ... So, question... Are you turning your heap????? That way they keep busy down there... ;) ;) I too add all the eggshells. I rinse them first then crush then up smalll & mix them in. Then I don't get "nasty suprises" or tell tale shells in the border..! ;) :D

[ 27. April 2006, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

11. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    No MF, I haven't turned it yet. It's been in for about a month now - I'll give it a dig over this weekend - another job on the ever-increasing Bank Holiday list..! ;)