Especially cold winter losses

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sussexgardener, Apr 16, 2009.

1. barb

barb Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Lost two hebes also two fushias all in ground .Fushias in pots by front door have survived. Not to bad really as we did have very severe frosts .

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Think we have lost a Jasmine, it was new last year so no great loss really, but I do like the plant a lot so will have to replace if it is dead. Anne has cut it back to the base and there are no signs of life yet...could be just a late starter as we are so far north...your thoughts on when it should start growing again?

Steve...:)

3. Abi

Abi Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  4. joyce42

joyce42 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Isn't it a real joy when plants you thought dead start to send up shoots from their roots, an actaea that I bought at Harrogate Autumn Show has just shown a few dark fronds,I was thrilled when I found it.

5. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,095
    :) I lost two Echiums and my big Brug.........................Still one door closes and another one opens,might treat myself to a Gunnera.

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    The oleander in the garden developed quite a few dead leaves and shoots and our french lavender snuffed it.

7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Nana gone, Agapanthus Purple Cloud took a beating but still might pull through, several 'hardy' fuchsias gone.:(

Brug left outside all winter has the top third brown. All palms ok, minor browning on Washy.

On the plus side the Clianthus has flowered (and is still flowering) since November.:thumb:
    Callistemon Viminallis (now 9 ft high) survived and has new buds.:)

8. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe part of the problem was it was a cold winter following a wet summer, some things didn't get to harden up before the winter came.

We'd been lead into a false sence of security with a run of mild winters, things like Canary Island date palms are not going to be Hardy in inland UK!

9. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Ive Treat myself to one Roder's :thumb: bought it in January (very cheap) Ive planted it in a Large pot with loads of water retaining gel, and water retaining mat, put it in a shady corner and it has 4 leave's (small) so now im hoping it survives :) and looking forward to seeing those fantastic giant leave's ..

10. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,095
    :) Good luck with the Gunnera Dee...............With your green fingers it should be awesome :thumb:

11. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I think that's the problem Quercus. We've forgotten that Britain does get cold winters and we don't live in the Med!:hehe:

12. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    It's good that despite this gardeners still insist on trying, pushing the limits all the time.

13. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    So far so good, not that i have much thats delicate in my garden i have to have plants that service me.:hehe:

14. mztrouble

mztrouble Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was totally shocked to find almost everything had survived - I just lost a french lavender. And I was very lazy and didn't cover anything! I have learned not to be so lazy next year though - I was super panicked when everything looked v dead at the start of spring!!

15. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Lost hebe and rosemary i think :( The rosemary was a herb i wanted established too :(