Evening Noise spoiling my Garden enjoyment

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by leo99, Aug 9, 2008.

1. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Its not necessarily the car that makes the noise its the driving style. I had a C55 and I never drove it to make that much noise-and I had the real deal. The wrost part about that is that you know one day you are gonna hear the worst possible thing-the noise, the screech of brakes and the thud of a body hitting it.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,465
    Lollipop, are you sure it wasn't a C5 that you had ;) ;) :D :D

3. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    Morning all.
    I love these threads. It amazes me to see how the subject matter drifts.
    I consider myself lucky compared to a few of you guys.
    My area is North of york in a cul-de-sac and we all know and respect each other.
    I good bunch of people. All can hear from outside at the moment is cooing pigeons.
    Wonderful.
    I have the A1237 about 2miles South and as its Sunday I expect to hear the odd motorbike rider winding the revs up between roundabouts. I have no problem with that.
    Its an event when someone comes down our street, when they have its usually because they have taken a wrong turning, or the Sat nav is having a larf..( now theres a possible future thread)
    No problems from neigbors. Celia next door is coming up to 101 years old and I may add still does a bit of gardening!
    It really is the ideal I consider myself lucky and have no intention of moving.
    I once lived on an RAF station for several years. now that could spoil your day!
    I have a gent who is 98 out the back who tends to potter in his shed/garage with his power tools quite early on some days. Not got a clue what he is doing.
    I sometimes feel guilty when I make a start with some woodworking and dust down the power saw... It seems to shatter the silence.
    Have a quite day everyone... Oh yes the sun is shining out there. time to get up and check my humble plot after yesterdays battering from rain.
    Robert

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,989
    Interesting thread. Capney - considerate neighbours are worth their weight in gold.

At the back of us is a busy A road, but we've got used to the constant noise of cars going by. We are lucky in that most neighbours are not too noisy, there are a few young kids who like to get out very early into the gardens but I don't mind the sound of kids enjoying themselves. Someones got a yappy dog a few doors down and that is very annoying when they go out and leave it, sometimes it yaps for hours on end.

I'm waiting till 10am this sunday morning before I start making noise, I'm going to cut our hedges with an electric cutter, which isn't a nice noise but I have to get it done sometime, I work all week so my only option is weekends or evenings. Hopefully the immediate neighbours will be up by then and won't mind the noise.

5. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    It's a slight case of "thread drift" but I agree with Ivory - the overuse of power tools is a major source of noise pollution in the garden.

I used a Qualcast Panther push mower to cut 160 sqm of lawn for 25+ years and it made my grass look like a bowling green. It was clapped out by the time I moved to my present garden and it couldn't cope with the co**** grass, bumpy surface and tree roots. When I tried to find a new push mower, the choice was very limited and even the best (a Husqvarna) had a very poor cuttings box. So reluctantly, I ended up with an electric rotary mower and add to the noise pollution myself. Perhaps with rising energy costs, we'll see a return to simple hand tools??

6. stony

stony Gardener

having a good time
    Ratings:
    +29
    Sounds like a grumpy old folk thread to me:D:D:D:rolleyes:

7. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well what gets me is the flamin birds singing, cows mooing, sheep bleating or whatever they do, then foxes howling at night....we should have a 'Keep the Country Quiet' petition.

Not to mention horses and tractors and the screaming of roses when you cut them....[​IMG]

The wind, noise of the rain on the window, seagulls....noise, noise flamin noise.

8. stony

stony Gardener

having a good time
    Ratings:
    +29
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

9. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I ull tell u what gets to me in my garden most of all the sound of my next door neighbour scrapeing pigeon crap off the walls of his loft :(

10. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    This thread sure does paint a picture of the English lifestyle.
    And I think we all must be called "Victor" I know I am on occasions!
    I know its early (for some) on Monday morning 07:15.
    I am trying my best to hear a sound...nothing apart from me typing.
    No birds, dogs, traffic, small people. trains, boats, planes.
    This is now spooky. Has something happened out there I dont know about?
    Even the birds are quite.......
    Morning all. hope you have a good day at whatever you attempt.
    Robert

11. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    All I can hear is the rain and the birds twittering. So glad I live rural. Peace will be shattered shortly with the arrival of my grandchildren:rolleyes:

12. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have to make a stand for all the boy racers who drive their cars respectably after all it costs so much to keep them on the roads never mind how much their spend on their motors to look good inside and out. I think the problem ones are the ones without tax, test or insurance!

One crazy kid screaming at the top of her voice is THE problem on our estate at the moment other than that the only noise problem we have is from the motorway and the emergency services roaring through our village.Hel.xxx.

13. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    I tried to post yesterday on the noise thread anfd the time I took to type had me timed out...:(

Anyway, here goes my second attempt.

My main thing aobut noise is screeching kids. I have no problem with children playing but it is when they take to screeching that I have a problem.

Yes, I was a child once too but my Mother has told my quite catagorically that she would not have allowed us to screeh at the top of our voices...so I know it never happened.

The other thing with noise is that Himself work odd hours..he works earlies, lates and nights and there are many days when he hardly gets 2 hours of sleep because someone has decided to spend the whole day tap-tapping wit the hammer.

After 3 days of trying to sleep in the day after working all night, even he is reduced to grunts for replies.

You can't shout at these people because they are trying to get their work done .

14. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The only noise i hear is the creaking of my knees in the morning :Doh and the dogs when they have wind :D

15. takemore02withit

takemore02withit Gardener

Ratings:
    +40