Evening Noise spoiling my Garden enjoyment

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by leo99, Aug 9, 2008.

1. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    I hate any form of neighbour noise especially when kids are involved :mad:

I am Victor Meldrew when it comes to other peoples uninvited noise.

2. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    TBH....if you have neighbours then we all make noise at times, but as long as everyone indulges in a bit of give and take....then that's the best you can hope for......I do agree though, you do get the bad apples in a barrel at times....sad but true.

There is redress these days though, through the council...if people are constantly being noisy at unsocial hours...the council can take action.:thumb:

3. midnightrose

midnightrose Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand how somebody can put their music on full blast and not be embarrassed. I also don't get what's so great about having a car which sounds like it is trying to take off for the moon when it's only going at 30mph? Do you need to rev your engine 30 times to make it over the speed bump or are you just making sure that we have all seen your stupid car?
    People are so self centred and rude!

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    im fairly tolerant of the neibours noise ( even the ones with the trail bike who race up and down and rev the guts out the thing with it on the drive!!!) but then again they have to put up with me testing chainsaws ocasionally and powertool noise etc.

One really funny story was on a recent job I did, I started at 10am and had been going till around 12.30 I was about to start the back cut on a 45' leylandi when I heard a blood curdeling scream like someone was being murderd eminate from the next door garden. I cut the chainsaw engine and looked across to see the woman next door who then proceded to yell that I was to stop making sutch a bl**** racket as she was about have her F ing lunch and she had sufferd it all morning.

No one tells me what to do and especially not when they scream when im using a dangerouse machine so i told her that Id make as mutch noise as I liked and she could go to hell, I then strted the saw up, cut the tree down and started to sned it up (deebranch).

More screaming from the woman, who had totally lost it and was insisting i stop, I pointed out that how was I suposed to make a living if I was suposed to stop my chainsaw every five mins for to which she replied you could use a F ing axe. I told her were she could shove the axe, and said if she had a problem with the noise then she could phone the council ofice and that I was in the right.

I carried on cutting and a half hour later the woman came out and with a bad grace apologised as she had phoned the council and I was corect.

The funny thing is though that she keeps chickens along with an entire cockerell that squwaks insesntly and can be heard for miles!!!!!!!!

5. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

Why do some adults insist on swearing when telling kids off? What kind of message is it sending them? My pet hate is using vulgar swear words in general conversation with adults and especially where children are involved. Its like its a kind of punctuation these days. I abhor it and I am not a child lobbyist as I dont have kids also I am no prude and I have to admit to the odd ommision of strong expletives usually when I have just hit my finger with a hammer or similar. Its just sad that some people have to resort to using such basic words when there is a plethora in the dictionary. Hels you have my real sympathy as I would have killed the mare by now ..
    Please do complain if she repeats, you should be able to enjoy your garden and home :thumb:
    If that fails ill knee cap the rat faced fink for a ......... blimey I cant think of a plant cos I dont know that many..ok a packet of marigold seeds ;)

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,466

I agree. Except when I want to fly somewhere :D :D :D

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Why do some adults insist on swearing when telling kids off? What kind of message is it sending them?

I agree Nut. Now three weeks into the summer holidays and I think its much more effective to birch the little XXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX XXXX XX XX!

8. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Lol Nut and Claire I didn't even know my eldest sweared until I caught him with his pals coming home from high school and heard him, it was a very mild swear word b*gger and my goodness you should have seen his face he looked as if he had been caught doing armed robbery!:D Hel.xxx.

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Helen,

Now that is the way it is supposed to be.

I remember when my now 14 yr son was about 4-5 and he was out playing on the front with one of his friends. I was in the bedroom tidying his room and the window opened out to the front then. There was a bit of a tussle outside as the lads fell out over something and a bit of shouting started.
    I was on my way downstairs to see what the problem was when to my horror he shouted at the top of his lungs "Get lost D7ckhe4d!" I nearly collapsed-after I had ran outside and given him the biggest roasting he has ever had. He was a child and a softie at that.

Obviously thatss school for you-at that time I was a bit sanctimonious about parenting (who? Me?) and didn`t even raise my voice at him. That all changed that day. Likewise he looked like he had dropped a brick when he turned round and saw me stood there!

I was absolutely mortified-in front of the neighbours too. Kids!!

10. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,991
    Agree about bad parents and school but also TV sets extremely low standards, and kids just copy Jamie Oliver or Gordon Ramsey who seem to think its cool to swear constantly. I wonder if Jamie swears in front of his own little kids at home in private?

A lot of the time these programmes are before the watershed and are aimed at the younger audience anyway. I'm starting to sound like Mary Whitehouse ;) but in the good old days :rolleyes: if anyone in the street swore, people didn't hestitate to tell them off and any back chat was rewarded with a clip around the ear. :thumb:

11. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi John,

I`ve had a think about what you said. I ask myself why do people who complain of offensive behaviour in any form, any where in this country, feel a bit vulnerable to the possibilty of sounding like Mary Whitehouse? Or a spoilsport? Or a grumpy old f8rt? or all the other names usually appicable?

I mean, why does the live and let live idea only apply when someone wants to be offensive and shrug off any potential criticism?

Why, when I am labelled a kill-joy, is it only the offenders joy that is considered? Where`s the consideration for mine? Or yours?

12. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    well said. that is exactly how I feel about it.

It is the same as when I'm in a supermarket and the little obnoxious spoilt brat decided to have a yelling fit and the parent totally ignores it or entices it to do more of the same....but I'm not even supposed to wince at the pain the yelling causes to my ears because you only have the parent glare at you as if you have done something wrong.:mad:

13. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Some people like to remove their catalytic converters in the vain attempt at getting a couple more horse power, and I think you'll find that many modified exhaust systems result in the car exceeding its rated emissions, so many are illegal. I guess in the first instance, it would be the police that you would complain to if you think they are driving what would be MOT failures (if they didn't swap their exhausts just in time for the MOT).

You can also talk to your local council's dept for environmental health, who I believe are responsible for enforcing the rules of what I though was called the Noise Pollution Act but I can't find any specific reference by that name.

14. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Google "noise abatement order" and the name of your local council, it should give you a link to the particular department.

15. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    This thread is very amusing :thumb: