1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Evergreen 4 in 1

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Fat Controller, May 21, 2012.

1. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I've used evergreen 4 in 1 on 2 properties in the past few weeks

I found that on the 1st property (a pub in my village), I applied it when I knew that it would rain that same night (as soon as I finished, it rained, and also rained heavily for the next few days)

the moss and weeds are gone, and the grass looks ok, but not as good as the other lawn .... I applied the weed and feed, and it only rained 2 days later

that lawn is a lot greener compared to the pub

not sure if there should be a difference, ... unless the heavy rain washes the fertilizer deeper than the roots?

as for moss, the evergreen 4 in 1 contains Iron which kills the moss .... as far as I understand, the fertilizer granules are more effective when touching the moss ... heavy rain perhaps dissolves it too quick, and it washes down into the soil?

I'm just guessing here

on the same subject, I fertilized a small lawn with Scotts Miracle Grow soluble lawn feed (blue powder) today

the lawn is small (approx 80 square meters) .... but has a stunning tropical style theme garden .... I have always kept this lawn 'drugged' and dark green

I've used the miracle grow before ... a bit of a mission, as I dilute the powder in a watering can, and apply it that way ....

after mowing, I watered the lawn well with a hose, then applied the Miracle Grow .... then it rained heavy in the afternoon, and is still raining

very good stuff if you want to green up a small lawn in rapid time ... it has a high nitrogen content, so be prepared to mow twice a week ... it has an NPK of 36-6-6

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,541
    These are pictures that I have taken today of my lawn, three weeks after treatment. The lighter patches are where I have missed areas with the granular weed/feed, which is why I'm changing back to a liquid to get it more even. I will treat again in three to five weeks, weather permitting.

The brown patches had moss, which I've scarified and the grass is beginning to grow back through. The weeds are practically non-existent now.

043.JPG

045.JPG

044.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
      Ratings:
      +3,035
      I've just applied Evergreen Complete for the second time this year on one of our lawns using a wheeled spreader. I find that it kills moss pdq and also greens and makes grass grow faster. It killed daisies and dandelions pretty well, but has had so far little effect on clover.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,541
      That's unusual for it not to kill the clover Dave. Mind you I do find clover is one of the last things to disappear, but it's all gone from my lawn.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,476
      Spot which side had the treatment:

P1010912.JPG

Going to have to get more now to do the other side, and then to give both a second gong over.

PS - yes, I know it needs cut, the weather just won't let me!

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,541
      That's looking good FC. :dbgrtmb: Did it shift the clover?

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,476
        Seems to have - although admittedly there wasn't a lot of clover in the first place. Its done a great job with the thistles, which were my main concern.

• Like Like x 1
        • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,359
          A very informative thread.
          In the 6 years ive been in my new garden, i have only weed/feed once and that was with a granular which was patchy and also burnt the grass despite me watering it in.
          This year, after my garden renovations have finished, i will do my lawn properly, this time though with a liquid feed. My lawn has so much clover it beggers belief. The question: Do i scarify the lawn first, mow then treat or treat, leave for a few weeks, then scarify and mow ?

G

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,541
          I wouldn't bother scarifying until after you've treated the lawn Mr. Grinch. If you're going to use a weed/feed/mosskiller it will kill everything off anyway. Mow first, remembering to leave for 2/3 days before treating.

Just a pointer, with all the rain we are having at the moment it's not a good idea to use a liquid as this has to be put down in dry weather. :)

• Like Like x 1