Evergreen Tree dying - Help !

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Greg Baylis-Hall, Oct 1, 2007.

1. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    The fact that it has all happened so quickly has to be an important ingredient
    Insect damage would not present in that way
    That is what has inclined me to something toxic .....

2. Lavender

Lavender Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Both Portugal Laurel (which is what it is) and Privet are prone to honey fungus, and I fear that is what has caused the damage. Sadly they probably won't recover.

3. Greg Baylis-Hall

Greg Baylis-Hall Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Evening,

I'll do some research into Honey Fungus later tonight.

I've been out and gathered up some more leaves. This time to show what a rotten one looks like to a good healthy one.

[​IMG]

I noticed with the healthy leaf, that there appeared to be two types of insects on it. These can be seen (just) either end of the leaf. If anyone can make out what they are, could they be my trees nemesis?

[​IMG]

I peeled back the bark in a couple of spots, but again, didn't really see anything that suggested decay.

Looking at the prevets tonight, the areas effected look singed, as they they have been out in the sun too long, but just like the tree they have some areas that are un-effected.

The toxic theory is a good one, but the areas effected are not all next to each other. The privet bush is effected in two areas roughly 2 meters from each other.

Thanks again to everyone for their help,

Greg

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,089
    This tree looks like its been there a fair few years, but the demise seems very rapid.
    Something must have changed, and recently.
    Just cant think what it could be.

Dont think those small insects could have caused it Greg.

5. Greg Baylis-Hall

Ratings:
    +0
    I guessed I was clutching at straws, but I thought anything I find I'd post here just incase.

Greg

6. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Is that a fence at the end and has anything been put on the fence recently? Are they next to that fence? Also s c r a pe away at the bark on the shoots where the leaves have died. Is the wood underneath moist green and soft or is it brown, dry and dead or dying? This will help to know whether it is something internal or something in the external environment. Do this particularly on the privet.

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Greg is the gas main anywhere near the area I have seen damage done similar to this near a gas leak.

8. Greg Baylis-Hall

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about it being near a gas pipe! (but I'll find out where it does run) The gas metre isn't far from there so it's possible.

I'll examing the privet's properly tomorrow evening - sometimes when I get home it's pitch black!

Thanks

Greg

9. Greg Baylis-Hall

Ratings:
    +0
    Evening,

I've examined the privets tonight but didn't find anything like Honey Fungus -

Tomorrow I'll take a look around the tree (I couldn't tonight because it was too dark) and cut back some of the bark around the base. This is because if the cause is Honey Fungus, there should be a white layer underneath the bark, with a mushroom like smeill.

10. Greg Baylis-Hall

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lavender,

Thanks for letting me know what my tree is ( Portugal Laurel ), I do have a question for you though (or anyone else) - A lot of sites appear to suggest that the "Portugal Laurel" is a shrub? when I think it's a tree ? is there a definition between the two?

Thanks

Greg

11. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    Hi, coming in here very late, but I was wondering if it could be "Anthracnose disease".. It is a fungal disease & is very widespread this year, both here & the USA..
    We had another similar question asked last month. Do you think your is similar??? Have a look here..
    http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=000422#000000

Here is a link to an american site as it explains it very well.
    http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/fidls/anthracnose_east/fidl-ae.htm

Does any of the privat look like the ones in this link??
    http://www.bspp.org.uk/ndr/jan2002/2002-6.asp

I hope not but just a thought as to solving your mystery.. [​IMG]

12. Greg Baylis-Hall

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I�ve done some work over the weekend on my front garden. I�ve dug out the dead privets and cut away some of the dead leaves that were around the trunk of the tree (Portugal Laurel ).

[​IMG]

I�m really not sure if I have honey fungus or not. I couldn�t find no traces of boot laces anywhere with both the tree and privets. The tree shows no signs of it. One thing I did notice that could be odd is that with tar oozing from the bark - does that mean anything?

[​IMG]

And the privet roots were bone dry, so I s c r a p e d back some of the bark and there appeared to be some white fungus there, but no smell and sign of mushrooms, and again no traces of boot laces.

[​IMG]

Could it be that due to drought this has happened ? and if so, do we think the tree can make a recovery - I�m assuming the green leaves and fresh shoots around the base of the trunk is a good sign??

I took a picture of one of the privets I removed, this leave shows it semi decaying.

[​IMG]

And here are some pictures of catapillers (at least I think they are?) that I came across when working (this is all for extra info) These I tended to find on trees, such as Silver Birch and my tree in question the Portugues Laurel.

[​IMG]

this time two of them together.

[​IMG]

And these I found on the privets

[​IMG]

Any help, as always is appreciated.

Greg

13. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Greg don't think there's a problem with the beasties the first one looks like a ladybird larvae(beneficial) the second is a maggot probably a small fly,the tar like substance oozing out does concern me I read a report a while ago I don't want to be an alarmist but you need to look into the land registery, here is the report.
    http://www.allmediascotland.com/forums/index.html?fa=v_p&thread_id=142

14. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    WOAH..Greg ive been watching this thread, what a mystery, hope its not the toxic thing :mad: u might have to get the professionals in to take a look now..Good Luck.. DEE

15. Greg Baylis-Hall

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm not 100% convinced it could be toxic. The tar oozing from the bark is orange, like maple syrup not black.

A friend of mine is a tree surgeon, so he'll be round in the next couple of weeks. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks

Greg